turkish surnames

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

os10kat

Post by os10kat » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:27 pm

hi
thank you so much for your reply
k.

aquamarina
How many stars? **: 0

Post by aquamarina » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:14 pm

My husband's surname is KÜÇÜK - meaning small .... which is fairly common but not terribly appropriate for him ....

... and his first name means Happy (Neşat - which is a derivative of neşeli, which means joyful) .... that does actually suit him as he is pretty laaaaaaa-iiiiiid baaaaaaaack!

However, put it all together, and you have an eighth dwarf ... Happy Small ....

:wink:

aquamarina

Post by aquamarina » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:the name is Susalis so if anyone has translation of it i would truly appreciate it.
Hi ... I wonder if this actually means Sus, Alış ... susmak being to remain silent (or, in the shortened command form, which this is ... literally, SHUT UP) and alışmak being the infinitive 'to become accustomed to something, so alış is the short command form .... and now we have ....

.... Shut up and get used to it! I have heard more peculiar surnames ... so does this make any sense to you now? Perhaps the new system of choosing surnames was not a popular one with whoever chose your family's surname!

Karen

Essie

Post by Essie » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Hello all,

This topic is really interesting, thanks for bringing it up, because I really didn't know most of the things that have been said here.

My surname is Toraman and I was wondering whether someone knew about the origin of my family name... unlike a lot of Turkish surnames, it doesn't contain er... logical (a) word(s) or verbs... if you know what I mean... it doesn't even sound Turkish... :?

xxx

Essie

Raneim

Post by Raneim » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:37 am

Essie wrote:Hello all,

This topic is really interesting, thanks for bringing it up, because I really didn't know most of the things that have been said here.

My surname is Toraman and I was wondering whether someone knew about the origin of my family name... unlike a lot of Turkish surnames, it doesn't contain er... logical (a) word(s) or verbs... if you know what I mean... it doesn't even sound Turkish... :?

xxx

Essie
Hello Essie;

Toraman is a Turkish word (adjective) which means "sturdy young man / child".
This is mostly used in a sympathetic way. :)
Do you have Turkish relatives?
Peace at home, Peace in the World.
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Essie

Post by Essie » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:49 pm

Hello Essie;

Toraman is a Turkish word (adjective) which means "sturdy young man / child".
This is mostly used in a sympathetic way.
Do you have Turkish relatives?
Oooh. Thanks!

I am Turkish and yes, I do have Turkish relatives :lol:. So Toraman is an Ottoman Turkish word?

Raneim

Post by Raneim » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:05 pm

Toraman is a Turkish Turkish word! :)

Ottomanish is also Turkish. The only differency is the letters and of course, the words change due to the time.
Atatürk had changed the Turkish alphabet in November 1928 in to Latin alphabet.
But Ottomanish is also read as Turkish. It is not a different language, it only had different letters.

If you are Turkish, why do you ask these? :)
Peace at home, Peace in the World.
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Essie

Post by Essie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:57 am

I know that Ottoman Turkish is Turkish Turkish :lol: but I thought that Toraman was... ah, eski bir Osmanlica kelime.
If you are Turkish, why do you ask these?
Cunku ben Hollandada yasadigim icin bunlari pek bilmiyorum. Senin dediklerini biliyordumda, ama soyadimin nedemek oldugu bilmiyordum. Cok tesekkurler :).

Essie

Post by Essie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:11 pm

Merhabalar,

A friend of mine's last name is Agca (not Agça) and she was wondering whether any of you knew what it meant :).

Thanks in advance!

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:28 pm

Essie wrote:Merhabalar,

A friend of mine's last name is Agca (not Agça) and she was wondering whether any of you knew what it meant :).

Thanks in advance!
Hey, does he/she have any relation with M. Ali Ağca, our national murderer :D

Sorry a bad joke. :oops:

"Ağca" may be an abbreviation of "ağaca" "like agha" I'm not sure. May be Tom can give a better answer :roll:
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are