turkish surnames

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

Calle W.
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Calle W. » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:06 pm

did someone post a website for being able to look up turkish surnames? i wanted to look up Çalık.

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Çalık has various meanings, such as :
1 - crooked
2 - (unnaturally)reminiscent
3 - erasen from the list
4 - furuncle
5 - crippled
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

ANNEK

What is the real meaning...

Post by ANNEK » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:41 am

Hello everyone...

Ok I chose the name for our son - Taygun... When I first picked it no one in my husbands family nor any of my Turkish friends had ever heard of the name before - so in the end my Hubby- translated it as
"" Little/Young Man" ... Is that what his name means?? Not that I doubt what he tells me, but I thought Gun - means Day - but I am not sure what Tay would mean.....
Any guess's???
Our last name is KOÇ - and of course here in the US we don't have the c with a CH sound so I get all sorts of Mrs. Kock- Mrs. Coke - Mrs.. Koach- Mrs.. Couch --- So when I was thinking of names for our son my favorite all time first name is Tugay -- but with our last name being Koc in English I though the poor child would he harassed every living day if I named him Tugay Koc ( thinking how a English speaking person would pronounce it all "" toogay cock "" -- I changed it to Taygun pretty fast after I thought of it that way ... :)
Cheers
Anne

xosunkist89ox

turkist last name?

Post by xosunkist89ox » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:07 pm

hi guys. just wonderig if the last name Babuga is turkish. we are not sure where it originatied or what it means. it was my grandfathers mother's last name and she died shortly after he was born so he never knew where it was from. We've heard it coudl be turkish or greek. so if anyone knows anything on the last name Babuga, i'd appreciate it. thanks! :D
thanks!
rachel

Raneim

Re: turkist last name?

Post by Raneim » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:58 am

xosunkist89ox wrote:hi guys. just wonderig if the last name Babuga is turkish. we are not sure where it originatied or what it means. it was my grandfathers mother's last name and she died shortly after he was born so he never knew where it was from. We've heard it coudl be turkish or greek. so if anyone knows anything on the last name Babuga, i'd appreciate it. thanks! :D
Actually I've never heard a surname BABUGA in Turkish and it doesn't sound like Turkish.
So I don't think Babuga is a Turkish surname. :)
Peace at home, Peace in the World.
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

johnbirdyshaw

Re: turkish surnames

Post by johnbirdyshaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi Paz,

My wife is Turkish, I spent 5 years there and really enjoy the people and the culture. I'm sorry but I don't really have an answer for you but I do know that many around my wife's village are known by nicknames such as Kebab Huseyin. This is my fanter-in-law's nickname. Huseyin is his given name and Kebab was used because of his insatiable appetite for Adana Kebab's. When he was younger and would be playing soccer, often he would run from the field during practice and go to the vender on the street and get a kebab.

As for the absence of surnames and having many within a village with the same given name, I imagine nicknames of that type were likely used.

I have a question though. I am trying to research my wife's family for a family tree I am trying to compile. The lack of surnames before the 1930's or records leaves me at a stopping point. I have my wife's grandparents names, but nothing prior. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you, John
Paz wrote:
markcwilliamson wrote:in the 1930s turks had to choose a surname for themselves. ........
I know this is an old thread, but this is news to me!

Is that because they didn't have one, or did they had to choose new non-arabic ones..?

If they didn't have one, how did they distinguish all the Fatih's and Mehmets that we have here - in court cases for instance?

Cheers,
Paz.

Raneim

Post by Raneim » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi John,

Actually, you have chance to get the information about the family tree from Birth Registration Office of Turkey (http://www.nvi.gov.tr - There is no English website unfortunately). You may find the relatives of your wife's grandparents but of course it's hard to find the earlier times.

If you are determined, you may look for Ottoman records. You'll find the Istanbul address and phone number of the office of government records from http://www.devletarsivleri.gov.tr/sourc ... ?wapp=0112 .
Peace at home, Peace in the World.
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Paz..you ask how would they be known before they had surnames...it was the same situation in many countries
in the British İsles people were known by their occupation...for example cooper comes from a being barrel maker,
and they were known as being the son of...williamson..son of william the Scots use Mac..for son of..and the Welsh Ap r.Rhys ap Dafydd.. Rhys the son of David.....
İn turkey people were invited to chose their own surnames..so many comic names originated from this as some people had elevated ideas of their importance..hence the number of names for Özkan,Akıllı describing special qualities..or occupations...corbacı...püsküllü...
its very interesting.

Kedi Yavrusu

Post by Kedi Yavrusu » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:09 pm

My surname is Ecer but my husband says he doesn't know what it means :?

ptemiz

Post by ptemiz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:18 am

On our website www.fethiyetimes.com we have a few articles on Turkish surnames, the amusing ones of course, and they are high on the list of 'most read articles'. Take a look, just type 'Turkish surnames' into the search box.