Turkish language school in Izmir or Ankara

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

Turkish language school in Izmir or Ankara

Post by Johnmango » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:09 pm

I have been taking Turkish private lessons from a Turkish teacher in Canada for a few months. Next spring I would like to go to either Izmir or Ankara for 1-2 weeks: take lessons in the morning and explore the cities the rest of the day.

Looks like in Izmir there is only one school (??): the Turkish Learning Center, in Karşıyaka. Is there any other reputable school that is Konak because I do not like the idea of walking to the pier in Karşıyaka, take a 30min ferry to go back to the "main part" of Izmir everyday.

For Ankara: can someone recommend a school which is fairly close to the city center?

If I can't find a school my last resort is Istanbul, which I know quite well (been there 4 times), but personally I would like to go some place else in Turkey. Thanks.

How many stars? **: 0

Re: Turkish language school in Izmir or Ankara

Post by suppiluliuma » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

Re: Turkish language school in Izmir or Ankara

Post by Johnmango » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:52 pm

I sent an enquiry to Tomer 2-3 weeks ago and never got a response.

I have also been talking to "Active Language" in Ankara. At first they were fairly diligent in replying all my questions, such as, "I can only stay for 2 weeks instead fo 4; would like to attend 3-4 hour class everyday instead of 3 times week, looking for a homestay with a mature person, preferably male so hat I'll have a quiet place to study after class ... etc. etc."

Then the correspondence suddenly stopped - so I am not sure if they are looking for a homestay for me, but when I asked them again, there was still no response.

Very frustrating.