Someone to practice Turkish with in Istanbul (Apr 16-20)

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

Johnmango

Someone to practice Turkish with in Istanbul (Apr 16-20)

Post by Johnmango » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Let me try this again.

In a previous posting I was looking for a teacher who offers home-stay so I can do a 1-week Turkish immersion. No success :(

I have booked an apartment near Palaska Sokak in Taksim. I am looking for someone who is available, from ~9 am in the morning, to spend 4-5 hours talking with me in Turkish, for at least 5 days (April 16-20). I will pay for lunch in restaurant nearby.

Not looking for English-Turkish exchange because I only want to practice Turkish. I have studied Turkish for slightly more than a year - my grammar is OK but my speaking/listening skill is close to ZERO :oops: !

I am a chemist who lives in Canada.Like travelling, music, opera, wine tasting, culture, tennis, skiing - so we can talk about many things.

You don't need to prepare any lessons, as I just want to talk and get used to someone speaking in Turkish, and correct my pronunciation and the right words to use. If you are available please let me know how much will that cost.

Thank you.

YakupYildirim

Re: Someone to practice Turkish with in Istanbul (Apr 16-20)

Post by YakupYildirim » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 am

Sent you a private message.

YY

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Post by SwampeastMike » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 am

If you find success, please let me know.

Your difficulties in learning the Turkish language seem identical to mine.

Instead of a few days though it's possible for me to spend the winter as a "roommate" who pays the bills and perhaps a stipend. Just NO ENGLISH!!!!

Johnmango

Post by Johnmango » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Job situation will not permit me to take a winter off to practice Turkish in Turkey.

Maybe I should advertize as being a domestic servant/butler - cook, wash, clean house and pay for the food and utility bills for 1-2 months. That way I may have better success. :lol:

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Post by SwampeastMike » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:43 am

Johnmango wrote:Job situation will not permit me to take a winter off to practice Turkish in Turkey.

Maybe I should advertize as being a domestic servant/butler - cook, wash, clean house and pay for the food and utility bills for 1-2 months. That way I may have better success. :lol:
I've had the exact same thoughts. The problem however is that domestic help in Turkey is cheap and those with space for a live-in desire long-term help. Also your gender works against you. My experience and understanding of Turkish men and women is that as a non blood-relative you would need to be a literal eunoch to be allowed into the home.