Important question ! - Turkish address

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

Skyzomarco

Important question ! - Turkish address

Post by Skyzomarco » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:45 am

Hi,

I'm planning to participate to a cell biology meeting in Isparta in June. I have some problems registering. The problem is that I need to transfer money to the bank account of the Chairman of the meeting. (all informations are here : http://www.cmos.org.tr/2012/index.php/e ... rationform ). It seems that everything is on this page but my bank asked me to get the complete address of M. Naziroglu bank. I asked the question to the organisators and they told me that everything is on the website.

I may be ignorant but did I miss something?

The Bank Name is T.C. Ziraat Bankasi A.S. 132-Isparta / TURKEY, I googled it and founded like 5-6 Ziraat Bankasi in Isparta. Can't figure which is the good one.

If someone familiar with Turkish address could help me... it would be very appreciated!

Thank you!

SwampeastMike
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Important question ! - Turkish address

Post by SwampeastMike » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:59 pm

This is the address:

Kutlubey Mah. Atatürk Bulvarı 114 Cad.No:25
Isparta, Türkiye 32360

I've made a number of bank transfers from the U.S. to Turkey before.

Many things that appear on the form (the the bank address) are not really necessary. The SWIFT code is most important as it uniquely identifies the bank account. Also be CERTAIN that the name to whom you send MATCHES the name used for the account.

Prepare to be amazed at the many layers of fees involved these transfers especially if your bank is not one of those "too big to fail" international firms ;) If there is a problem that prevents it from going through you will not only pay for the initial transfer but the same fees again in order to get your money back! Many Turkish businesses and individuals maintain bank accounts denominated in foreign currencies. If you are sending Dollars for example and the recipient has a USD account, send to that one!!! This will eliminate conversion fees.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 pm

In fact that SWIFT code appears to apply to a bank in Ankara:

TURKIYE CUMHURIYETI ZIRAAT BANKASI
FOREIGN OPERATIONS BRANCH
ARJANTIN CAD. NO. 11 GOP
ANKARA

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:54 pm

Have my acronyms a bit wrong. The the IBAN (International Bank Account Number) is the most important number even if it's often referred to as the "SWIFT Code" as SWIFT is some big international entity that acts as the intermediary between banks from different countries while collecting a fee of course.

It wouldn't surprise me at all of part of a "SWIFT number" seems to point to bank besides the one that holds the account. Why? Because not all banks have accounts with SWIFT and use another bank as an intermediary for initial receipt of funds to the country. Sort of the reverse of what happened when I was making a transfer from my local bank--I had to pick from a list of United States banks (a short list all "too big to fail") for initial receipt of the funds and getting a fee of course...

All of the international bank transfers I've made came with a large number of individual fees charged to my account: my local bank; the big U.S. bank, SWIFT, the big bank in the recipient's country and the recipients bank. All of these seem to be a combination of a flat fee plus an "x per $100" fee. Finally the recipient's bank often charges the recipient to put the money into their account! Unless the amount is substantial (say $2000 or more) I've found it much less expensive to send money via MoneyGram or similar even when currencies are converted at the lower rate offered by such services.

Both European and Turkish friends have told me that international bank transfers are the simplest and least expensive way for them to send money to each other. I showed a Turkish businessman the fees related to his transfer and he was genuinely surprised.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 am

I hear what you're saying, Mike, I was charged far too much to transfer some money from the UK to my friend in Germany once. For goodness sake, we're both in the EU/Common Market whatever, so I thought!

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:06 am

SWIFT is an international connection and banking system which enables the banks run all international transactions on line all over the world.
Each bank has a swift code, but be careful, not each branch.
Don't worry, the money you sent arrives at the right branch as long as you give the right details.
When the U.S. bank transfers the money by swift, the message reaches at the internatonal transactions section of the reciever's bank at the same day, then it's redirected to the account of the receiver.

If you want to transfer money from the US, go to yur bank, and tell the officer what you want to do, probably he/she'll gve you a transfer order form to fill.
Here are the essential elements for an international money order:
-The beneficiary's bank name must be true,
-The beneficiary's name must be true,
-Account nr or IBAN nr must be correct and complete. (IBAN is an international account standard established to eliminate the transfer missings, like an id nr; important but nut a must, provided that typing the account nr properly. Always double check after writing the IBAN if you know it; it is tooooo long)
Both account nr and IBAN include the branch code.

Each Turkish bank has a web site in English where you can get some general info, ie SWIFT code.
Hope this helps. :)
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

Skyzomarco

Post by Skyzomarco » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:18 am

SwampeastMike wrote:This is the address:

Kutlubey Mah. Atatürk Bulvarı 114 Cad.No:25
Isparta, Türkiye 32360

I've made a number of bank transfers from the U.S. to Turkey before.

Many things that appear on the form (the the bank address) are not really necessary. The SWIFT code is most important as it uniquely identifies the bank account. Also be CERTAIN that the name to whom you send MATCHES the name used for the account.

Prepare to be amazed at the many layers of fees involved these transfers especially if your bank is not one of those "too big to fail" international firms ;) If there is a problem that prevents it from going through you will not only pay for the initial transfer but the same fees again in order to get your money back! Many Turkish businesses and individuals maintain bank accounts denominated in foreign currencies. If you are sending Dollars for example and the recipient has a USD account, send to that one!!! This will eliminate conversion fees.

Finally got the same address as you mentionned... I wish everything will work well. Your story scares me really much, lol. They really should use Paypal to get the subscription money. It would be very much simple for everyone subscribing to the meeting.

I have made the transfer last Monday at my bank, I hope to have some news this week. Thx for the help !

Skyzomarco

Post by Skyzomarco » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 pm

They received the money, everything is good, no additionnals bank fees.

It's now time to get the plane's ticket !

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:04 pm

I'm glad that worked OK.