Free Turkish Audio Online?

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

smilingtraveller
How many stars? **: 0

Free Turkish Audio Online?

Post by smilingtraveller » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:39 am

Prior to going to Croatia this year I discovered a fantastic free site that had audio pronunciation of many useful words and phrases. Has anyone found a similar online resource for the Turkish language? If not, what is the best audio course on the market? In the past I have always bought Pimsleur cd's before visiting a country but I don't think Pimsleur has Turkish cd's.
Cheers and happy trails!

turkeytom
Site Admin

Online Turkish Language Tips

Post by turkeytom » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:53 pm

Here are the places to look first:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Trav ... Guide.html

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Trav ... _aids.html

Besides the Rosetta Stone course mentioned on the Language Guide pages, I also like the Hugo "Turkish in Three Months" cassette course.

Don't forget your local public library--it may have language courses you can borrow.

http://www.talkingturkishnames.com/ is a Turkish names pronunciation site with more than 1000 names in audio.

I also received this from a TTP user:

"You ask for opinions on turkish language courses, I’m now in Istanbul ready to start a course in Dilmer school but I can already give you an opinion on an online curse that I joined.

"Turkish Center at http://www.turkish-center.com/

"I made course “Basic – I” and I paid 7 dollars.

"They give you 20 days of access to lessons, which I found was enough time if you go there every weekday one hour

"It isn’t a Quick Start course type, if you just want to learn how to understand prices and know how to talk to taxi and dolmus drivers this isn’t the course for you.

"It contains lessons that let you practice the alphabet and some vocabulary, also you learn how to ask and answer simple questions like “Is this a pen?” “Is the pen on the table?” “Where is the pen?” “Who has the pen?”…

"For me it was a good beginning because for a very cheap price it gave me some notion of what is Turkish even before I came here, now I can build the knowledge with some real lessons in Turkey." --PS

Tom Brosnahan
Last edited by turkeytom on Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smilingtraveller

Post by smilingtraveller » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:56 pm

Thanks for the great info. I will check out the resources right now.
Cheers and happy trails!

turkeytom
Site Admin

Another one...

Post by turkeytom » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:21 am

I looked for this earlier today but have only found it now:

Ms Necla Bal's website: OnlineTurkish.com

"Dear Tom,

"I have a Turkish language web site: OnlineTurkish.com - Turkish Language Education for Beginner and Intermediate Levels. The site includes listening exercises recorded by native speakers, free online Turkish Phrase Book (100 pages with sounds), pronunciation guide, grammar, vocabulary, online dictionary  and information about Turkey.

http://www.onlineturkish.com  

http://www.onlineturkish.com/vocab.asp

The phrasebook is good! Wish I had done it...

Tom Brosnahan

smilingtraveller

Post by smilingtraveller » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:10 am

Fantastic! That is just what I was hoping for and then some!
Cheers and happy trails!

MW

Talking Turkish online...

Post by MW » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:04 am

I am trying to decide on the best way to keep my Turkish skills bubbling along and to continue learning online. Just from this thread I can see that there are plenty of options. In fact, I don't want to google the subject of learning Turkish online because I don't want the range of options to expand!

Anyway, the options, so far, are downloading (at least) Transparent Language or simply logging on to Online Turkish or Distance Turkish Learning Center.

What I would like to know is whether anyone has looked into or done any of these courses recently and has any thoughts on them?

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:12 am

I recently purchased the first 7 units from the Distance Turkish Learning Centre and for $39 I thought it was not too bad of a buy. It lacks a bit in description and explanation of course content though so if there is something you dont understand you are kind of left at a loss. I have printed off all the exercises as I go so that I can review them when I don't feel like sitting at the computer.

The best thing I have done however was to have taken a course @ OISE (The Ontario Institute For Studies In Education). It is affilitated with the University of Toronto. I took the 8 week course last fall, every Monday night for 2 hours. There were 5 people in the class and it was taught by an instructor who had been living in Toronto for a number of years. She was Turkish and completely fluent in English as well.

I was scared to death half of the time as most of the in-class work was oral. Sometimes when asked a question I would stare blankly at her and say, "I have NO IDEA what you are talking about." Once I even went home after class practically on the verge of tears thinking, Marilyn you have to be the biggest dummy in the world, why don't you get this? Thank goodness for my dear friend Onur who I always called after class to give him the low down on the class that night.

My best friend helped me on-line every week with the homework. He was so patient at being asked the same questions over and over again. The final presentation was an oral essay that we had to compose and it had to be memorized and said aloud in the last class. I thought I was going to have a myocardial infarction right on the spot. But......I didn't and I passed the course. It was difficult but well worth the time and effort.

There is really no substitution for real conversation, live teachers and understanding friends who help you in your quest to say "bilmiyorum" less and less as time goes by. I still have a long journey ahead of me.