Buying property

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
Alan Heatley
How many stars? **: 0

Buying property

Post by Alan Heatley » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:21 am

Im in the process of buying a property in Turkey in the Dalaman area .Does anyone have any advice . I ve already given a power of attorney to the estate agent but im having difficulty communicating with the owner/constructor. He wants me to make the payment for the property into his account .We both thyen go to a solicitor and sign a document which will state should the Tapu fall down for any reason i will get the money back .Im a little dubious of this, any advice ?. He seems reputable has offices etc in the centre of Dalaman which ihave visited .I ve spoken to english families out there who have bought and it seems the process of purchase can vary.It seems to me the best way would be for myself and the owner to lodge the money and the deeds with a solicitor and when the Tapu is sorted they are released by the Solicitor,any thoughts ?. :roll:
Alan & Jody Heatley

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:45 pm

you must be careful. there are many horror stories when giving power of attorney...have a look at Turkish living where you will find lots of good advice on this problem.
at the moment the new property laws have not been instigated. so dont part with any money until you know where the goal posts are. im sure any reputable estate agent would give you the same advice.
have a look at http://www.ba-property.com the agent there is welsh and honest..i have no affiliation with his work..just know his reputation
shirley

aquamarina

Post by aquamarina » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:48 pm

Make sure you know what the status of the tapu (title deed) is ... once issued (once the property law is put back into place and deeds can be issued to foreigners) does it give you sole ownership on the land it relates to, or, if you are purchasing on a complex, are you going to be issued with a tapu which covers the whole piece of land, of which you will show on the 'group' tapu as owning a percentage?

I'm not an estate agent - but I do know that the sale of property to foreigners has not stopped even since the temporary stop on
issuing tapus for foreigners came into force ... all such tapus are 'pending' ... so as long as there is no legal restriction to, once the stop has been lifted, you owning the deeds to your property, there should be no problem.

However, I would advise you to use your estate agent for all communications with the owner/developer - that is what they are there for!!! (I am assuming that the developer and agent are not one and the same) And ... the terms of any sale should be set out in your contract for buying the property, which you MUST have, and be satisfied with the terms therein, before you part with any money whatsoever.

If you are in any doubt, seek the advice of a solicitor - I don't know what kind of English speaking services of this kind there are in Dalaman, but there are a few in Fethiye - one of whom is an excellent translator who is also a trained lawyer, and who advises on these issues all the time ... Aslı Uygun, tel 614 7217. I'm sure she'll be able to advise you on standard practice.

I guess what I'm saying is, as with any transaction you'd make anywhere in the world, keep your wits about you and check, check and double check. Good luck!

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:05 pm

hi...ive been working in my husbands relatives realtor in Alanya....and the laws relating to foreigners buying were suspended.....there should not be any sales or property taking place.
people are making contracts through the public notaries but they can get burned..ive seen it too often.no doubt the new laws will be ok...butt up until then its best to wait and see..certainly dont give anyone power of attorney at this time.

smiler

Re: Buying property

Post by smiler » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:34 am

Alan Heatley wrote:Im in the process of buying a property in Turkey in the Dalaman area .
Hello Alan,

I'm also buying in Dalaman. Who are you buying through and where are you buying?

I'm buying through Dalaman Estates and I'm using Asli Ozden as my solicitor.

Alan Heatley

Post by Alan Heatley » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:15 am

Hi ,

The name of the estate agents office is Eskidji. The constructor/owner is a guy called Onur and his companty is called ON-TUR.I cant explain where we are buying exceopt that it is in Dalaman. If you dont mind can yo tell me how much you are paying for the Solicitor?. I ve been trying to get hld of her do you have a contact number? you can e mail me if you prefer.

Alan
Alan & Jody Heatley

smiler

Post by smiler » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:51 pm

Hello Alan

The solicitors name is Asli Ozden

ozdenasli@gmail.com

I'm being charged £600.00 which I thought was extremely reasonable.

labinot

Post by labinot » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:27 am

Alan Heatley wrote:Im in the process of buying a property in Turkey in the Dalaman area .Does anyone have any advice . I ve already given a power of attorney to the estate agent but im having difficulty communicating with the owner/constructor. He wants me to make the payment for the property into his account .We both thyen go to a solicitor and sign a document which will state should the Tapu fall down for any reason i will get the money back .Im a little dubious of this, any advice ?. :roll:
Hello Heatley Family
I know you have troubles and I ve got confused like you why you ve signed a document to get your money back if Tapu falls down. As you know now in Turkey foreigners can not get Tapu in to their names however in a mounth Turkish government will prepare new laws for foreigner to get Tapu. Maybe you ve signed because of this problem or there is a problem with this property that I don't want this reason. I also have a real estate company but our process is different than yours. I hope the best for you. If you need further informations about buying process please feel free to ask. My email labinot_1981@hotmail.com

Ali Asterisk

Post by Ali Asterisk » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:13 pm

Hi Alan and Jody

You don't say where you live but try this site for information on buying in Turkey

http://www.turkisheconomy.org.uk/buying_property.html

Click on the pink box that says -
A NOTE ON THE CONSTITUTIONAL COURT’S DECISION

The Turkish Embassy in England were very helpful when I bought my place in Turkey last year.

Good luck

naji4

Post by naji4 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:54 pm

hi
Last edited by naji4 on Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.