Questions on buying properties in Turkey - what about Canada

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
Johnmango

Questions on buying properties in Turkey - what about Canada

Post by Johnmango » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:19 am

I went to Istanbul for the first time last week and fell in love with Turkey.

Reading this website, I know that there are lots of UK citizens buying properties in Turkey. As a Canadian

1) How can I find out if Canada and as long as your country has a reciprocity agreement with Turkey?

2) If I buy property in Canada, I go to a bank here and get a mortgage based on my income and ability to make the payment. How do I get a mortgage if I do not have enough money to buy the property outright? do I have to go to a Turkish bank in Turkey? I realize this may be a stupid question. I believe I can get a mortgage from a Canadian bank in Canada, for properties in Canada.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

sinan
How many stars? **: 0

Post by sinan » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:18 pm

If you have income in Turkey YES you can get mortgage. Othervise you have to use your money in CANADA.

Sinan Akdeniz

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:23 am

http://www.tkgm.gov.tr/ana.php?Sayfa=ic ... ID=2&DID=9

This is the tapu site. Currently Canadians are not entitled to purchase property in Turkey however there are ways in which you can get around this. I emailed you some information on the process along with information on banking, mortgages and funding your property which I hope you got. If you would like specific information from a Turkish representative there is a phone number on the site that you can call where you can speak with an English speaking representative. The representatives are located in Ankara. I hope this helps.

Marilyn

bryn

Post by bryn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 am

ER Canadians are allowed to buy here and they have full reciprocacy. :D
because not all estate agents are the same

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:23 pm

In June 2006 Canadians were on the list of countries that were NOT entitled to purchase property in Turkey. When I contacted Ankara they indicated that the list changes on a frequent basis however.

As you may recall in May/June of 2006, Mr. Harper, the Canadian Prime Minister made a formal announcement in parliament that Canada supported Armenia's position on the holocaust which prompted Turkey to impose a number of sanctions on Canada. The Turkish Ambassador was recalled from Ottawa to Turkey and Turkey withdrew its contingent of fighter planes from an international military operation that was being held in Alberta. The purchase of property at that time was another........

It is therefore good to know that Canadians may have been put "back on the good books list". I will check this out, as I would advise all potential purchasers at the time of purchase. Thank you for the information. By the way if you have any formal documentation to substantiate this I would really appreciate seeing a copy of it.

Marilyn

bryn

Post by bryn » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:05 pm

Marilyn I forgot about that little bunfight but they are still on this list
http://www.marmaristapu.com/yabancilari ... inmesi.htm
because not all estate agents are the same