Buying in Kalkan

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
Bohemia
How many stars? **: 0

Buying in Kalkan

Post by Bohemia » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:43 pm

We've decided to buy a property in Turkey and after looking at every property I can find for sale on the web we have decided - I think - to buy in Kalkan, because it doesn't appear to be too much of a concrete jungle or made for tourists. We are after a 3 bed villa, and I'm just wondering if there are any other similar villages we ought to look at when we come out for an inspection trip. We want to fly into Dalaman airport because it is easier for us from the UK (we live in Wales therefore want to use Bristol or Cardiff) - any input is appreciated.

Cheers
xx :D :D

Icaru

Post by Icaru » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:22 am

I live in Kalkan since 2002 and have been coming here since 1990. Kalkan is rapidly developing, i.e., lots of construction. But compared to Bodrum or Marmaris, it is still quite undeveloped.

However, villa prices in Kalkan are among the highest on the coast. But behind us up the mountain is the beautiful forest village of Islamlar filled with fresh trout restaurants, pleasant temps and lovely views through the pine forests to the sea. Not too many foreigners but increasing. There are some villas already built and my Turkish neighbors who are also contractors have a very nice lot for sale with house plan if that interests you.

In any case, Islamlar is well worth seeing, it is cool, pretty and lovely.

Bohemia

Kalkan Property

Post by Bohemia » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:36 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. We've just bought a place though, just above the petrol garage as you go out of town. It's a new 3 bed fully furnished apartment with pool and we can't wait to get th keys! We will rent it out some of the time.
Cheers
Wendy. :lol:

Icaru

Post by Icaru » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:59 am

Congratulations on your new purchase. About renting, you should read the page on the Turkish Consulate website about filing personal income tax returns from rental proceeds. The Turkish government is sending out teams of people knocking on doors of villas and asking the occupants to prove they are the owners or related to the owners. If not, very big fines and many problems for the owner if caught renting without having done the proper formalities including a contract and obtaining a tax number. Many owners have stopped renting because of this.

Bohemia

Renting

Post by Bohemia » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:13 am

Hi,
Thanks for that, I knew we had to pay tax but hadn't given it much more thought than that. I will do as you suggest.
:lol:
Wendy

jen73

Post by jen73 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:17 am

Hi Wendy

We also have a place near the petrol station in Kalkan - I'm wondering if you're in the same building, as there was a 3 bed furnished apartment there that was sold around the same time? Anyway, hope you enjoy your new apartment wherever it is.....

Jenny

Bohemia

Kalkan

Post by Bohemia » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi Jenny,
Good to hear from you. Don't know when we will be out next possibly next Feb/Mar.
If you exit the Petrol Garage and go up the hill to the junction, turn left, our place to be is on the right hand side, almost immediately. There was some new construction on the opposite side of the road. To gain access you go up steps from the parking area and then the apartments are in front of you, the pool is in front of the apartments.
Once I find out more about the taxation issues I will do a website with photos.

Cheers
Wendy
:D

jen73

neighbours

Post by jen73 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:58 pm

It sounds like we're neighbours then, what a coincidence. We are in apartment number 5. I guess you're no 3? We bought our place earlier this year and when we were over in the summer the tax men came to the apartments to check who was there and if anyone was renting so it looks like you would definitely need to handle it properly if you're renting. I would give you my e-mail address to chat further but I don't think you're meant to on these forums are you? Is it OK if I contact you through your website that you have listed?

Jenny

Bohemia

Neighbours

Post by Bohemia » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:21 pm

Yes, please do!
I've just been looking at the weather Feb/Mar and it looks pretty chilly and wet!
I also want to find out about driving down! (My husband thinks I'm nuts). I have a few pieces of Oak furniture I want to bring, and I thought it would be fun / adventure to drive there. Have you heard of anyone who has done this?
I think I may put it elsewhere in this forum too. :D