Telephone installation

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
margaretp
How many stars? **: 0

Telephone installation

Post by margaretp » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi to all,
Thought it worthwhile to enquire if anyone has found a way round this problem as a foreign home owner without residency. Everything else works fine, but we would love to have a land line so we could have home internet access.

The only way I can see forward, is for one of us to get an annual residency permit, then apply for the land line. presumably, at the end of the year, no one from the phone company checks the residency situation. In fact I'm sure they don't, as we have friends who have bought with a phone line in situ and they don't have any problems. It seems daft, that we have electricity, water, and pay our property tax with no problem, but we can't have a phone!!

Perhaps I should add, that we spend about eight weeks in Turkey in spring and again, another eight weeks in the autumn, so my withdrawal symtoms regarding internet access aren't too trying!!! We have several local internet cafes ( I think charging about 2YTL per hour) and a very efficient Turkcell mobile (about 90YTL to buy and 25YTL for simcard and 250 payg units) The only downside to the mobile is that if we don't use it for three months, we have to get a new simcard rather than just top up units and this means that we have to advise everyone of our new number!!

I know that technology is moving at a fast pace and have read some of the recent posts regarding blackberries etc. and was interested to hear that Turkey has good 'radio' coverage, perhaps this is the way forward for us? But then this surely raises the question of why the phone company is making it so difficult for a growing group of foreign home owners.

Look forward to hearing from anyone with ideas. Have also heard that there is a group investigating the extortionate cost of Residency permits for foreigners, so perhaps this problem will get sorted as part of EU membership!!!
MPD

geroll

telephone and residence permit

Post by geroll » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:15 pm

Hi
You do not need a residence permit to get a telephone line in your home.
gerard http://www.orangeraie-de-finike.com

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Gerard,
We went to the Turktelekom building in Fethiye and got the form, as we have a Turkish friend who also told us that we did not need residency, but the lady told us to complete it and return with our residency permission and passports. Unfortunately we don't speak Turkish and at the office there were not any English speakers (very unusual for Fethiye official buildings - it has made us lazy!!). Is the three month visitors visa what she means by 'residency permission' ? Very grateful if you are able to confirm this for us as there are several other second homers with the same impression.

Can I just say that I love the look of the hotels that several of you run!!, yourself, Carrie and Jeanne - can't resist peaking at your websites!!, unfortunately our house is too close for us to ever need to stay with you.
MPD

geroll

residency permission

Post by geroll » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Hi,
I am sure that a residence permit is not necessary to get a line and telephone number.

A lot of expat have no residence permit, only visa, and they have a telephone in their house. I have myself used such a telephone in my house for years before asking for a residence permit.

There is perhaps a misunderstanding between you and the post office employee. I suppose he is asking for the permit for habitation you must have received from the municipality when you bought your house . You must have produce it to get electricity.

If you go through Finike anyway stop a few hours to have a drink in the hotel. You are welcome.
Gerard

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:21 pm

Dear margaretp,

Good luck with your phone problems and I do hope that you can get it sorted out. We of course almost 10 years ago got our phone lines because of course my husband is turkish. I can't understand if you have water and electricity that you are unable to get the phone line. I think Geroll gave great advise as he stated that it might be a mix up at the phone office. Do further investigate.

One last thing for sure if you get to my area of either Cirali or Antalya please do stop in for a coffee/tea and a chat it would be great to meet up.

Happy New Year !!!!! and all the best for the Holiday Season.

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:09 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice, we shall certainly complete the form and go back with all our paperwork. Who knows, I may be able to let you know that we have been successful via our own internet connection when we return to Calis in April!!
MPD

Ali Asterisk

Post by Ali Asterisk » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:35 pm

Hi MPD

I'm commenting on your Turkcell sim card. I have one and have had one for a couple of years now. When I bought it this was what I was told. Every 3 months you have to recredit (not buy a new sim card) - this is what I have done. Every 210 days it has to be used or then it's finished - haven't tested this one though cos I'm normally in Turkey more regularly. BUT I have just found a way of being able to use my phone in the UK just in case. Basically your phone has to be unlocked to be used internationally. I went into a phone shop in Istanbul and they did it for me. I think you just dial *111*. I have a message on my phone (in Turkish) which I understand from the shop is another way of unlocking it. I can post the message here if you like so that it can be translated into English (or maybe your Turkish is good - unlike mine and you will understand!).

Good luck with the landline and post up how you get on cos I might be in a similar situation soon.

Ali

PS whatever they did to my mobile works cos I'm sat in rainy Surrey and my Turkish mobile is now registering Orange.

Also did you know that *123# will tell you how much remaining credit you have?

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks for this info, would certainly like to try this try this, would like the English translations too, so yes please for the link. We left Turkey on 12th Oct and are back mid April, according to my sums this is less than 210 days, so perhaps I can just get top up still?

Just back from skiing in Switzerland, have to relate that snow not good. Waiting for Seki to be operational!!! Global warming seems to be affecting so many resorts.

One of my Turkish friends has sent some wonderful Istanbul pics (via pp presentation) with lots of snow - not this year, presumably? Would copy it to the forum if I knew how!!!
MPD

jane

Post by jane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Dear Margaret
I see from your details you are from my part of the world!!!!!!!!
Have you managed to sort out a land line yet? Our daughter works in Turkey and we have property in Gokova and before she got residency our landline was in the name of her friend, a local Turk,one way round the situation.
Regards to your Turkish sim card,we heard it has to be topped up every 6 months or loose the number.It was done in Nov so all being well the phone should be OK next week when we go out..............I'll keep you posted!!!!!

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:53 pm

We just missed the 6 months cut off, so have a new mobile number now!! Never mind, it's a small price to pay!!

There is a local (Fethiye) petition doing the rounds to complain about the cost of Residency!! but I believe it's only tit for tat!! apparently based on cost for UK visas for Turks, hopefully it will all be simplified before too long and we will be able to get our landlines!!
MPD