English wills or turkish.

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
E2ml
How many stars? **: 0

English wills or turkish.

Post by E2ml » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:04 pm

I now have a property in Turkey and need to know if my will in England covers the property surfficiently or do I need a Turkish will drawn up in turkey?.

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:30 am

You definitely need a Turkish will! Otherwise your property will be divided up between all your relatives, your English will is not enforcable in Turkey. There are several companies who can help with drawing up your will, which then needs to be finalised by a notary.
MPD

bryn

Post by bryn » Thu May 17, 2007 11:55 am

Magaret

the property will not be divided up amongst all your relatives but between your spouse and children.

The problems come when you dont want to leave a property to children and only to your spouse. This can be organised through a notary but the children do still retain certain rights under Turkish law. Best advice is to consult a lawyer or a Notary if you can find one that speaks good english.
because not all estate agents are the same

Ali Asterisk

Post by Ali Asterisk » Fri May 18, 2007 6:23 pm

So, I have a question leading on from Bryn's advice - does anyone know of an English speaking lawyer or notary in the Izmir/Cesme area that they can recommend?

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:36 am

Sorry about mis-information!! I was quoting what had been shown on fethiyetimes website, supposedly from a legal expert!! We went to an advocat while we were in Calis this month and, yes, he confirms that a will is not necessary if your childen are to inherit. Presumably it's a nice little earner drawing up unnecessary wills :cry:
MPD