Furniture import or buy

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
Penny

Furniture import or buy

Post by Penny » Sun May 27, 2007 10:56 pm

We have 2 apartments in Altinkum which we need to furnish this Summer. We have looked in the Altinkum area at numerous furniture shops but the quality is not too good, particularly the beds. Does anyone know of a good shop in the area or maybe we should buy here and ship out do we pay import tax? We are also after silver 'white' goods any ideas?

samikenina
How many stars? **: 0

Post by samikenina » Mon May 28, 2007 12:16 pm

hi Penny..if you look at turkish living forum you will find numerous other people there who have bought in Altinkum and have furnished their places locally..so you would find relevant info about the best shops for furniture,curtains etc..and of course white goods..most of these have web sites with prices..and most of them are in either turkish or english.

ptemiz

Furnishing apartments

Post by ptemiz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi Penny

First of all IKEA is now in Izmir which isn't too far from Altinkum. Prices are similar to IKEA in UK and they have on-line Turkish catalogue which you can peruse before you come out here. On http://www.fethiyetimes.com you can find a guide to websites for Turkish white goods - these are very reliable and cheaper than UK and if the shop in Altinkum doesn;t have what you want they can get it for you quickly. Also, as it says on the site, shop around and play off one shop against another to get best prices.

Good luck.

Pat Temiz

Penny

ikea

Post by Penny » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:32 am

Thanks for the information especially about Ikea I have looked at the catalogue and seems to have everything we will need. Does anyone know if they will deliver as far out as Didim and if so how long would we have to wait for it?
Penny

ptemiz

IKEA

Post by ptemiz » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:29 am

IKEA seem to be very aware of the demand for their products in the region. Here in Fethiye they have an agent from whom you can order using the catalogue and goods are delivered to you in a few days. If you are worried about delivery time you might want to think about hiring a box van and driver in Didim and going to IKEA in the van - that way you bring home everything you buy. I doubt it would cost much more than paying IKEA, or their local agent's, delivery charge. You could ask the person from whom you bought the apartments to organise the van for you before you arrive and then go the next day.

Pat Temiz

Penny

Post by Penny » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Thankyou Pat a good idea I will look into it.
Penny

Sue Skolfield
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Sue Skolfield » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:25 pm

x
Last edited by Sue Skolfield on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penny

Post by Penny » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:12 am

Thankyou very much for that Sue I have made reams of notes from all the replies I am very grateful.
Penny

sggcrystal

Re: Furniture import or buy

Post by sggcrystal » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:58 pm

Sue Skolfield wrote:Another good furniture shop is Kelebek who also have many branches in Turkey (I think that is the right way round if not it's Kebelek).
Sue
Hello Penny as Sue said Kelebek is very good quality. And there is a big branch in Didim. I am not sure where you had been before about furniture but i think you have not been in there otherwise i am sure you would like. If you would buy from them they will help you if would any problem. And ikea is in İzmir it is perfect but trnasport is going to be problem. It is up to you. I am in Didim for 3 years and i know many different places in Didim. So i think you do not need to go somewhereelse for furniture. Didim will be enough to find good quailty and cheap prices.
Hope i can help more soon

Sevgi

Penny

Post by Penny » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:04 pm

Thankyou so much for all your help everyone. We visited most of the outlets suggested and ended up buying from Engil Mobilya by the Apollo temple. We got a very good deal.
Penny