sterling or lira

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
Penny

sterling or lira

Post by Penny » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:23 am

We are going out to Turkey to buy furniture shortly does anyone know whether it is better to take sterling or lira to pay for it? Thanks
Penny

margaretp
How many stars? **: 0

Post by margaretp » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:19 pm

We have personally found that we get by far the best exchange rate by taking sterling into Turkey and changing it up once we are there. We have also found some shops where they will be happy to accept payment in sterling (just stay one step ahead and make sure you are given a good rate!!)
MPD

Penny

Post by Penny » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:03 pm

Thanks very much for that we will do as you say.
Penny

dolci

Re: sterling or lira

Post by dolci » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:18 pm

what about dollars? i usually change money before traveling, and then i come home with too much change. if it is worth changing money in turkey, then i can change a small amount of dollars every time. if shops accept dollars,קייטרינג even better!

KayaKoyuOldBoy

Re: sterling or lira

Post by KayaKoyuOldBoy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:36 am

If you live in the UK take Sterling. If you live in the Euro Zone take Euros. If you don't live in either, take Sterling, Euros or US Dollars. Whichever is easiest to obtain.

What you want to avoid is buying a foreign currrency and then paying a second commission when you exchange it.

You'll get the best rate for purchasing Turkish Lira (TL) whilst in Turkey.