buying a canadian cell phone to give to a turkish friend?

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
vestadoc
How many stars? **: 0

buying a canadian cell phone to give to a turkish friend?

Post by vestadoc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:47 pm

I want to buy a Nokia cell phone for my friend in Turkey? If I buy an unlocked phone with no contract would it work over there? Is there anything else I need to know. Has anyone out there done this?
Thanks
vestadoc in vancouver bc
ali in vancouver bc

ptemiz

Don't buy the phone

Post by ptemiz » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:48 am

There are regulations surrounding foreign-bought phones which involve lots of paperwork for both you and your friend e.g. having receipt to show purchase price; some form of paperwork to show it has been declared at Customs at point of entry; then you have to fill in all kinds of forms here. Phones are no longer expensive in Turkey, hence the regulations. The Turks love asking people to bring things from outside the country, a hangover from the time when electrical/electronic goods were expensive here and the range of products very narrow - this was the case as recently as ten years ago. Now everything is available here at prices comparable to other countries, so buy the phone when you get here or bring some other piece of electronic gadgetry (all Turks are gadget freaks) as the regulations only apply to phones.

vestadoc

Post by vestadoc » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks Ptemiz for the reply and the info. It was helpful. Vestadoc in Vancouver...
ali in vancouver bc

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:04 am

Why don't you buy it at the duty free shop at the airport where you'll land in Turkey? It would be cheaper than buying from down town. :wink:
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:30 am

Hello!

A number of years ago I brought my quad band cell phone to Turkey and although I was able to use it I found that the roaming charges were astronomical. The phone was contracted in the city in Canada that my billing address was set at. Anything outside of that became a "roam" and additional fees applied. The fee for a Canadian phone that is roaming in Turkey is about $5 per minute. I found this out when I returned to Canada and found my heart stopping Rogers’s cell phone bill.

If you buy anything other than a Canadian tri or quad band phone the likelihood of it working in Turkey is slim at best. My friend and I purchased a reasonable phone at a Turkcell shop in Turkey for about $100. You can program minutes into it and it works very well. It’s not too fancy but it is reliable in both local and overseas calls. The phone rates to call Toronto from Turkey are very reasonable.

Although I embrace technology whole heartedly, I have become impatient with Canadian cell phone plans. I have given up my quad band cell phone with its camera and fancy gadgetry after having fallen into the nasty clutches of the money grubbing Rogers and Bell marketing system. I now have my simple phone that "does the job". My children have relegated me to the uncool "pay as you go" people but I am spending my newfound money on things other than AIR TIME.

Good Luck!

Marilyn

ptemiz

Cell phones in Turkey

Post by ptemiz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:22 am

Hi Marilyn

When did you buy the 100$ phone? Prices are dropping here all the time so if it was a while ago it would be significantly cheaper now and that would also be encouraging for people planning to buy phones here. By the way, if anyone does need to buy a phone here purely for use on holiday/for a short time - there are really good secondhand bargains and lots of shops selling them.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi,

We purchased the $100 phone about 3 years ago in Istanbul and it is still working very nicely. The significantly more expensive quad band Canadian cell phone was given up around that time and replaced by a "pay as you go" cell phone purchased at the Super Store in Toronto.

The "pay as you go" phone cost about $75. It still has lots of good features - it has no monthly fee but it only works in North America. It is much less expensive to have 2 phones - 1 Canadian and 1 Turkish.

Whatever happened to the days of the "2 long and a short ring" or for that matter when you went out of town - people just waited for your postcard as proof that you were alive. :))))

Regards
Marilyn

ptemiz

Thanks

Post by ptemiz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 pm

I bet that 100$ phone would be half the price now. I am also not a fan of cell phones prefer e-mail but you are right about two phones being more practical. However I wouldn't want to return to postcard days. As a traveller in the 60s and 70s I remember queuing to collect Poste Restante mail in many countries and being sodisappointed when there wasn't any. Much nicer to go to an internet cafe and keep in touch with everyone regularly.

Pat

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi

Oh! I love going to internet cafes in Turkey - it is a real experience. The range in venues is amazing - from smokey little holes in the walls to very sophisticated establishments. I have rejected taking a personal notebook with me just because I would miss out on that experience.

I try not to be too nosey when I am there but people watching at internet cafes is an amazing experience. I try to imagine what each person is there for - the guy who just wants to play games - the girl with the webcam who is teary over missing her boyfriend - the older woman who is trying to figure out how to use the Turkish keyboard - cafes are a cacophony of sounds that challenge the power of imagination!

Marilyn

RIK

Post by RIK » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:01 pm

For the record, the rquirements for an imported phone changed in January of this year.You no longer have to declare it to Customs.You do not need the receipt ( but better to keep it just in case ) You take the Phone to the ' Extra ' Shop of your providor along with your Passport, Photocopy of your details page and photocopy of your last entry stamp into Turkey. The shop will do the rest for you.I did it three months ago and paid 5 YTL and the phone is ok.

Ian
It's better to be over the hill than under it.