Newbee , buying property needs advice/feedback

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
fatherjack

Newbee , buying property needs advice/feedback

Post by fatherjack » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:22 am

Hi , just registered with this forum and would like to say hi to all involved,
we're in the process of purchasing a property in Altinkum/Didim, we,re not really 100% sure in the way property sales are handled in Turkey,but following advice from the selling agent this is the "state of play to date "..
We have left a deposit of 10% with a further 80% to follow, ( in about 2/3 weeks time), we have a copy of the property sale contract signed by ourselves and the translator, and the seller/developer. .( The property was viewed,and the desision to buy made only about 4/5 weeks ago, hence the short notice in everthing, including posting this message .
We have been told the property will be "key ready" once the 80% part of the payment is made , upon the final payment of the 10% the developer will have carried out any snags or alterations , as we rquested, we should then recieve the Tapu.
Do we need to appoint a solicitor in the UK, or will everything regarding the sale be conducted in Turkey ?
Thanks Paul......................

smiler

Post by smiler » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi Paul

I can't fully answer your questions other than to say appoint an English speaking lawyer in Altinkum.

fatherjack

Post by fatherjack » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:22 pm

just checking my original post, i've noticed i mentioned the develper and a translator, i forgot to add that the translator is working in conjunction with a turkish solicitor/lawer that we have had appointed and recommended by the selling agent.
Will this be adequite, or do we still need to appoint an English speaking solicitor/lawer ?
thanks Paul.......................

margaretp
How many stars? **: 0

Post by margaretp » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:26 pm

It is a different system and sadly, sometimes can go wrong, but having said that, when we bought (4 years ago) the trust on both sides was something we hadn't experienced anywhere before. Our developer was out of town and unavailable to sign paperwork (and therefore only our 10% had been paid) before Friday, but he was happy for us to start moving in and having stuff delivered on the Tuesday!!!! :D

Probably a very good idea about the 10% held back until snagging is completed, we did get most of our snag list completed, we had insisted that our snag list was added onto the written contract and this seemed to do the trick.
MPD

MikeG

Post by MikeG » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:49 pm

Just read the original posting and was very interested to fidn that we are in exactly the same position, buying a property in Calis, Fethiye.

I was just wondering how the overall purchase had gone and whether there was any advise you could offer on the experience and any pitfalls/risks that need to be avoided.

margaretp
How many stars? **: 0

Post by margaretp » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:30 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding, but we have just returned from a month in South Africa (amazing, I shall have to investigate if there is a similar website to TTP for SA!!) Glad to say that we have been extremely happy with our purchase in Calis and, while it has not been completely problem free, we are overall very happy with our Turkish adventure!! Just remain sensibly cautious and use your common sense, as I said before the level of trust between the parties involved was amazing. We had a good feeling about our estate agents and four years later still regard them as our friends.

Hope that your purchase is progressing successfully, you will find lots of good advice on this forum.
MPD