in need of sound advice

Questions, answers, tips and warnings about land and property ownership by foreigners in Turkey
rimabird

in need of sound advice

Post by rimabird » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:25 am

i hope someone can help me, i have just put a deposit on a off plan property in gulluk near bodrom, the developer wants me to pay 30%
in 4 wks, + 20% in may08, the rest not being due until completion in
march 2010, i have asked the solicitor if i can put a charge on the title deeds to which the developer did not agree to, this quite concerns me
i need to know if this is quite standard for this to happen, and what is
my next step do i argue the point , or is there another option, i have emailed my solicitor also but would like some advice from ttp if poss.
the developer is odek properties? so if theres anyone thats dealt with this company please get in touch, i have also asked the developer for details of previous clients, but i am understandably worried about handing over that sort of money without any protection, ihave a two thousand pound deposit on the property which as i understand is non refundable, but i have not singed contracts yet! so i probably would lose that deposit?
i have been told to ask about a bank guarentee, please advise

yours paul

dave&sue

Re: in need of sound advice

Post by dave&sue » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:13 pm

hi rimabird, we too have bought a property in gulluk from odek in feb this year, you will not get any bank guarantee,s from odek during the first 2 payments, as we were told they were not necessary, but we were told by our agents prime oversea propertys, that later on in the build you can at a price get some form of guarantee,s . two of our friends who also bought a property at the same time have now pulled out because of this thus losing their 2000 deposit, we don,t think there is anything to worry about as this is the normal way of doing things in turkey where building is concerned,we have already payed £2000 deposit and our 1st installment of £23,917 and are quiet comfortable with the way things are going,if you are still in any doubt contact the agents who you went with,hope all goes well and we can have a drink sometime in the point pub. yours dave&sue . ( e-mail address- david.watts177@ntlworld.com )

rimabird

Post by rimabird » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 pm

hi dave and sue
thanks for the reply i actually almost pulled out of buying the property with odek , but as you say i spoke to other people who have brought with odek and they have a good reputation around gulluk and they seem pretty solid although they are very stubborn to deal with at times
so after some thought i decided to carry on but i did manage to alter the stage payments a little in my favour so something good was gained , what development are you on as i am on seabreeze and i have only found one other person so far on the same development i am not due to complete until march 2010 :( are you a member of the gulluk forum? i am going out in sept for a week to have a nose around so if your about will definately
have a drink
yours paul

dave&sue

Post by dave&sue » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:37 pm

hi rimabird, so glad you got things sorted out, we too have a property on the seabreeze development ( k2 )we are also going for a nosey around on 2nd may , we,re staying in gulluk itself so will get a good insight into the area, we will let you know of any informative imformation we find , we will keep in touch. yours dave&sue.

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Post by steve » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:57 pm

A lot of locals are moving money out of property (or perhaps splitting the risk among two flats in very different regions rather than one big house) and into cash as the economy, just like everywhere, looks wobbly.

rimabird

Post by rimabird » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:36 pm

dave/sue
great to finally meet someone else who has brought in seabreeze i am in r1 that makes three of us i know , its in our benefits to get to know each other for future dealings with odek , all we have to do is find the other 48 apartment owners my god!. i brought mine in nov07 fell in love with the place , did you notice how the new road through to the bodrom highway is progressing ?also are you aware of the gulluk owners forum most of the owners are clients of odek and there is some great info on there as some of the owners are now completeing on there properties so we get to see some of the problems they are having with odek and the maintenance company mavi , also i am pleased to say some of the good points as a whole it seems most people are pretty happy with there properties , there are some concerns with the fees the maintenance company charge and what they actually do for that money but all good info for us, also where you told that there is a new marina being built in town? let me know if you if you find the forum? speak soo
paul

dave&sue

Post by dave&sue » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 pm

hi paul, yes we did notice the new road it seemed well into it,s construction,as for the marina i was led to beleive it was going to be very near the front of gulluk itself, to stop all the large tankers etc from coming so close to the actual tourist area to unload, where they will unload when the marina is built nobody is too sure,as for the gulluk forum could you please let us know how to access it as it would be good like you say to get to know more people who have bought on seabreeze, we can,t seem to find it, your,s dave&sue

rimabird

Post by rimabird » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:18 am

dave /sue have sent you an email regarding the gulluk owners forum
regarding the marina i went on google earth and apparently the old port where the tankers unload has been moved further north of gulluk
which is what i was told by odek when i signed up for the property in nov 07, i believe this to be true ,as for the marina in its place lets wait and see
paul

anne casson

Post by anne casson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi Rimabird

Read with interest your email re buying property and also the replies. We live in the North East of England and took a chance and went to Side on the Med part of Turkey. We loved the area and put a deposit of £2000 on a new build Apartment This was in December 2006. Before we actually paid the Deposit we went around Side and asked a lot of questions about the Developer. We paid £20000 in two stage payments and the final on completion in October 2007. We were very wary of giving Builders our hard earned money. I think the Law works totally different in Turkey compared to England. We did use a Solicitor but really there is not much need for this. The Solicitor we used happened to represent the Builder and us which in England is unheard of. It actually is a conflict in the UK. To get to the point, we were totally taken back by the efficiency of the Legal Establishment in Turkey. The Builder is fantastic and him and his staff are now good friends of ours. The Apartment is fantastic and we have just returned having had it furnished in less than 2/3 days. We cannot wait to go back and are looking forward to retiring in Side. We hope to learn the language and are trying to get classes here in England which is proving difficult. Local Education only deal with Spanish/French/ etc. To be honest the friendliness, efficiency and business like manner of the Turkish people put this country to shame. By the way we completed the purchase in Oct 2007 and in January 2008 got the title deeds. Good luck to all in your purchases and may you all be as happy as we are. Really look forward to reading comments on this website

Anne

rimabird

Post by rimabird » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:37 am

hi ann
thanks for your words of comfort, i am now quite happy with the way things are going as you can tell by the posts :D
we all have worries especially when you are purchasing a property abroad ,but as i have spoke to many people since
i first wrote the thread people like your good self have helped a great deal! so i hop[e everything goes great for you and
you have a long and happy retirement in turkey im quite jealous because i will not complete until march 2010 :cry:
but they say all good things come to those who wait !

good luck
paul