Travel with Kids in Turkey

Tips, cautions and bright ideas for keeping children safe and happy during travel in Turkey.
Karagul
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Karagul » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:53 pm

I have four year old twins and they are currently in Turkey with me. It's their third visit. Turkey is one of the best places to travel with kids, in my opinion. I cannot begin to describe the love and affection my daughters get wherever we go. Turkish people truly love children and treat them like royalty. Unlike America where children are often seen as messy and loud and unwelcome, Turks are always accomodating to children and families. At least that's been my exprience so far.

Food has never been a problem for us. My kids love kofte (Turkish meatballs), lahmcun (Turkish pizza) stuffed peppers and Turkish salad. They eat yogurt and beyaz peynir (similar to feta cheese) anytime. They love the bread, especially with helva or nutella. They have never gotten sick from anything.

Most towns and tourist areas will have small parks and playgrounds. For bad weather, I pack small puzzles, crayons, coloring books and legos to keep them busy. I find it easier to bring these items with me from the States as they are more expensive in Turkey.

I also bring my own medications. Children's Motrin is a good thing to bring, along with children's laxatives. For some reason, my kids always get constipated here.

One more important thing- always bring tissues and wet wipes (and hand sanitizers if you want) for Turkish bathrooms. Getting my daughters to use Turkish toilets has been a frustrating endeavor, but there is no avoiding it. Most places- especially those in tourist areas- are moving towards Western style toilets, but it's still a crapshot out east and in the bus terminals.

dvk

Health & Safety and separately Turkish Toilets

Post by dvk » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:32 pm

Dear All,

Having travelled a fair bit in Turkey I would just say that Health and Safety standards are not the same here (I am writing from Turkey) so you need to be aware of things like stairs with no hand rails, very different pavement levels in some places, cars that don't always stop at red lights etc.

I love Turkey, I am married to a Turk and we have a 7 month old baby so I am definitely not trying to put you off coming to Turkey - It is a truly spectacular and wonderful country with so much to see.

As parents you know your children best of all - I just advise exercising a little more caution than you would at home and then you will all enjoy a wonderful holiday.

PS. Turkish toilets can be very different so please prepare your children.
eg. bins in toilet cubicles or bathrooms are for used toilet paper. Drains in many areas are not up to paper being put down the loo.
The valve/tap wheel next to the toilet usually supplies a refreshing jet of cold water from a jet at the back of the pan (note - this can be shocking in the winter months !!)
Some toilets are of the hole in the floor type (albeit ceramic) - these can be a challenge for us adults so children may need help to avoid unfortunate accidents !!

turkeytom
Site Admin

Turkish Toilets

Post by turkeytom » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:43 pm

The whole story (with photos) is here in the Travel Details section of TTP:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Toilets.html

Tom Brosnahan

guykb

It's all good

Post by guykb » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:31 pm

Hi folks,

I'm currently travelling through Turkey with my wife and 2 girls aged 9 and 11. They are seasoned travellers but are enjoying the wonders of Turkey all the same (as are Jess and I).

I have planned much of my trip based on forum advice I have gleaned and requested here so I thought it was only fair that I post up a link to my blog that I am trying to keep up-to-date as we travel.

The link is: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/gu ... /tpod.html and will eventually include all of the other countries we will visit on this trip, but for the first month, it's Turkey!

Cheers

Guy

turkeytom
Site Admin

TTP Kids Page

Post by turkeytom » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanks, Guy.

Here's the TTP Kids Page:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/spec ... index.html

Tom Brosnahan

Alda

Re: Travel with Kids in Turkey

Post by Alda » Fri May 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Hello Everyone ,
Thanks for sharing the inputs and links on - How to travel with kids in turkey . Hope it will be helpful to every family who travel to turkey with the kids.Keep up posting the good work .. :)