Good hotels for families

Tips, cautions and bright ideas for keeping children safe and happy during travel in Turkey.
profadour
How many stars? **: 0

Good hotels for families

Post by profadour » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:31 pm

Hello. We are planning a two week trip around Turkey in early August, based on Tom's 11-15 day tripkit. So, we are looking into hotels for Istanbul, Selcuk, Pamukkale, Konya, Cappadocia and Ankara. We have three children, ages 5, 7 and 11. Can anyone recommend hotels in these cities that are good for kids, as well as adults?

Thanks.
Peter.

winelady

hotel report

Post by winelady » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:30 am

I will be visiting 1 hotel in Akrara, 2 in Cappadocia and 1 in Istanbul with children 7, 9 and 11 in the next two weeks. I'll post and let you know what I think after I've experienced them up close and personal. I do know that I had some trouble finding hotels online that would acommodate all four of us in one room. Most of the hotels wanted me to reserve 2 rooms, but I'm not comfortable having the kids sleeping somewhere else. As a result, I plan on bringing an air mattress with me just in case.
BRW
Richmond, VA USA
http://www.westhoven.net

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:18 pm

Hi all,

It is difficult to find rooms for more than four persons. So when sending out your emails ask if they offer family rooms or offer suite rooms for four persons or more. We did have a great discussion with the winelady regarding this very same topic. Yes I can totally understand the need to have the children very close buy in the same room especially younger kids. Here is the previous link;

viewtopic.php?p=12475&highlight=#12475

Have a great holiday...your kids will love Turkey....Just remember that the summer can be quite hot so take lots or pre-cautious with the heat.

check out the Travel With children post;

viewtopic.php?t=3149

Carrie 8)

winelady

report from the Radisson SAS Ankara

Post by winelady » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:08 pm

We just finished our stay at the Radisson. We brought an airmattress with us and borrowed sheets and pillows from the hotel to make up the extra sleeping space we needed. Everything there was really wonderful. It doesn't have the charm of a boutique hotel, but our room had a great view, our room was very new and clean and they had every ammenity down to wireless, a mini bar and a great breakfast buffet. I'd be remiss, however, if I neglected to say how great the staff was. They had an answer for every question I had and were happy to make arrangements for bus tickets for us and explained how the system worked. They truly went above and beyond after we checked out. Despite my near constant admonishments, my daughter left a small bag with her digital camera in it in the lobby of the hotel. All it had was her name in it. Since the bellman had put us in the taxi, he knew who the driver was. The driver got a call on his cell phone just as we pulled up to ASTI bus station. We turned around, drove back to the hotel and were met by the head of security who had us check to make sure everything was in order. Wow.

We are now at Gamirasu cave hotel near Urgup in Cappadocia. The staff here has been wonderful too and the rooms are like something out of a fairy tale. We were able to book a family suite here and I was very happy with that. Upon arrival they said they weren't fully booked and comped us an extra room just so that we could sleep more comfortably. Gamirasu also offers free pick up from the bus station in Urgup and complimentary dinners and breakfasts that are very fresh and very wonderful. Can you tell we're lovin' Turkey so far? I hope your own experience is just as wonderful.
BRW
Richmond, VA USA

profadour

Post by profadour » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:28 pm

Thanks winelady. Do you mean the Radisson in Ankara? I will certainly check it out. It is interesting that you are staying at the Gamirasu Cave Hotel. When I google'd for cave hotels in Cappadocia, that was the first one to show up. The pics on their website look amazing.

Thanks Carrie for the reminder about the heat.

Cheers.
Peter.

winelady

Post by winelady » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:48 pm

Yes, it was the Radisson in Ankara. Now we are in Istanbul and we are at the Hotel Inter Istanbul. I forgot to print out the address and had a very rough time finding it, but we made it eventually. It's close to the Bazaar, University and many other city hot spots. The hotel itself is nothing to write home about, but we were able to get a family suite with 4 beds (a double and 3 singles) for 65 Euros a night inclusive with breakfast. It's clean, reasonably priced, has a working shower and wireless internet. Sometimes, that's good enough.
BRW
Richmond, VA USA