visiting mosques with children

Tips, cautions and bright ideas for keeping children safe and happy during travel in Turkey.
sasna

visiting mosques with children

Post by sasna » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Greetings and salutations.

We are packing for our 17-year-wished-for-trip to Istanbul. Our 2 sons, ages 11 & 5 will be traveling with us. We are all extremely excited.

I have found plenty of information about proper etiquette and attire for visiting mosques for adults, but not as much for children. Obviously, they should be in clean nice clothes and primed to behave respectfully, but are the stipulations about trouser & sleeve length as true for children as for adults? It will be awfully hot in July...

Any additional tips for us?

Thanks.

Sasna

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: visiting mosques with children

Post by davcamp » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Hello,
Visiting a mosque has certain etiquitte: Females must cover their head with a scarf. As you approach the main door women will be handed a scarf for the visit.
Men will sometimes be prompted to wrap a scarf around their legs if they are wearing shorts.
Everyone will be required to remove their shoes and leave them at the shoe rack at the main door. Usually, you will be provided with plastic foot-wraps with elastic bands to preserve the high quality carpeting.
Be respectful of worshippers in the mosque by not speaking loudly or snapping a flash photo in/near their face.
Some of these worshippers come from 100’s of miles away & from other countries to worship in Istanbul. Be sensitive & sensible.

Since mosques operate as a place of prayer and reading, be sure not to visit during the call to prayer. When you do visit you may be prompted for a donation on your way out. Since Fridays are the main days of prayer, plan your visits for the other 6 days of the week. Attire for mosque visiting is not really 'nice clothes' for anyone. There are many pilgrims and homeless street people that visit wearing 'rags.' The objective it not 'nice' clothes so much as it is modesty. Women need to cover heads and other cleavage. Men and women and children can go in shorts. Usually I am never asked to wrap a scarf around my legs wearing shorts - but I have been asked to cover them on occasion.
Safe trip!
davcamp

sasna

Post by sasna » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Thank you "davcamp,"

Your comments were very helpful. We will avoid visiting during times of prayer and visit with gladness in our hearts.

Sasna

davecamp
How many stars? **: 0

Post by davecamp » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:07 pm

You are welcome Sophia.
Have a look at my Istanbul web blog for more tips...
davecamp

http://www.go2istanbul.info/go2istanbul ... anbul.html
davecamp