kids books about Turkey?

Tips, cautions and bright ideas for keeping children safe and happy during travel in Turkey.
abchesworth

kids books about Turkey?

Post by abchesworth » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Anyone know of any good kids books about Turkey?

JMK

Re: kids books about Turkey?

Post by JMK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

I have a few that I use in my business but which age range are you looking for?
Last edited by JMK on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abchesworth

Post by abchesworth » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 pm

My son is 10. I want to give him some background on the history and culture of Turkey prior to traveling there this summer. He likes non-fiction and adventure-fiction.

JMK

Post by JMK » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:47 pm

I work mostly in schools with children in KS1 and 2. The projects I run are to compare lives of Turkish children with UK children and I do have a selection of books although I must admit most of them are more suitable for the younger children.
I help the older ones research information on the internet and often investigate the stories of Nasreddin Hodja. These are folk stories and quite amusing. I have some books of these stories written in English but you can find them on the internet.
http://u.cs.biu.ac.il/~schiff/Net/front.html I have some books I have put together myself about the lives of Turkish children but obviously these are not published (maybe I should try lol). Your son could do this himself with the help of the internet and the booklets from the tourism office. If he is interested in cooking you can find recipes on the internet and a very simple idea would be to make kofte (meat balls) served with coban salatasi (shepherds salad).
If he enjoys music get Harem 11, it is available from one of the internet stores for about 8 or 9 pounds. It is darbuka drum music and boys in particular seem to enjoy it. He might like to buy himself a small drum when he is there so he can play along. I do all kinds of activities with children but the darbuka drumming is by far the favourite. If you want to get some CD's to get you all in the mood before you go, Tarkan is a very popular pop singer also the music of Abrahim Tatlises. If you want traditional music maybe some Anatolian wedding music would fit the bill.
If he enjoys painting he can look for Iznik tile patterns on internet and then paint some himself onto plain ceramic tiles with acrylic paint.
If you contact info@gototurkey.co.uk they will send you some very nice booklets about culture, food, art, geography etc and also a DVD. These are very suitable for a 10 year old with reasonable reading skills.
You will see pictures of Ataturk everywhere you go so it would be a good idea to look on the internet for information about him, he was a fascinating man.
Hope this all helps.

PS just spotted this
http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/n ... zanne_Swan
It doesn't specifically say it is for children but this series of books are usually good. I think I will be getting it for when I work with the older children.

abchesworth

Post by abchesworth » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:23 am

Great - thanks! That link is great. It's a little young, but I think he'll enjoy it anyway.

JMK

Post by JMK » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:01 pm

I hope it's useful. I think you'll find the Nasreddin Hodja stories were actually originally written for adults and the messages are quite difficult for children to understand. Each story has a moral to think about. The DK book is an adult book but may well be OK for children with good reading skills. The material from tourist information is not aimed at children but with your support I think he will find it interesting.

ellie

Post by ellie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:19 am

There's The Stone of Destiny: Tales from Turkey by Elspeth Tavaci. It's published by Frances Lincoln and it's available on the Amazon website.