Low-key travel with 2 kids

Tips, cautions and bright ideas for keeping children safe and happy during travel in Turkey.
rwhite1212

Low-key travel with 2 kids

Post by rwhite1212 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi,
We are arriving in Turkey late August for about 8 days (first time in Turkey). We are traveling with our two boys (7 and 9). We're not too ambitious and want it to be a pretty relaxed vacation, but still have a taste of Turkey. We're not partyers or "beach people", though a day or afternoon at the beach is always fun. We like to eat and wander outdoors. We're thinking of spending about 3 days in Istanbul and then heading to a smaller town that we can use as a base for fairly relaxed sight-seeing. It doesn't have to be the extensive ruins of Ephesus. It could be much more "humble", but less touristy ruins in smaller towns. Walking outdoors, visiting markets, etc. We love old castles.

Here are a few questions:

Should we rent a vehicle? I've driven internationally in past (UK, New Zealand) and all over North America. If so, where? From Istanbul or fly from Istanbul to Izmir and pick up a vehicle there?

We're trying to decide between Ephesus-area on the coast or Cappadocia? Suggestions? Should we try to spend a couple days in each area or is that too rushed?

Suggestions on towns to stay in? We'd like someplace large enough that there might be some English at the hotel/restaurants if possible. Maybe Sirince?

As an aside, my son has a soy allergy. Soy is subsidized in Canada and used extensively. Anybody know if soy is used widely in Turkey? The most common use in Canada is "Vegetable Oil" that is often at least partially soy.

Thanks for any comments.

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Low-key travel with 2 kids

Post by David Morgan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 am

With only 5 days, it's probably not worth trying for Cappadocia and a place on the coast. You can't really go wrong with flying down to İzmir and renting a car - maybe a couple of nights in Selçuk and a couple of nights in the Bodrum (nice castle) area. It's a pleasant drive from Selçuk down to Bodrum with some nice sights to see along the way (Priene, Miletus, Lake Bafa).

Sorry, I don't know the soy situation in Turkey.