Istiklal - what happened to the trees??

General chat as in a "çay evi" (Turkish tea house).

Moderator: sinan

MW
How many stars? **: 0

Istiklal - what happened to the trees??

Post by MW » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:03 pm

I just been to Istanbul and I was surprised to find that the lines of cute little trees along Istiklal are gone. I liked the mini-avenue feel that they created and since they were part of my first impressions of Istanbul I'm disappointed to see them gone.

I understand that there's controversy about the new paving but I'm surprised it's only about the rock. Are the trees coming back? Were they relative newcomers anyway? Anyone know the story?

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:34 am

The Mayor's got a divine inspiration instantly and got enlightened that the trees didn't suit the street well, and the whole stones of the street should be changed. We Turks are lucky for having such prudent rulers who know and do the best for us. Otherwise why we shall elect them? So decided they that stones and concretes are better for us than the trees.
Oh, by the way a contractor's making good money for the reconstruction. What can I say? This is the way...

And no, no more trees, at least in the near future... :x
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

delridge
Location: Istanbul, Kadikoy, Moda, and then within Moda, usually at Moda Kup bakery

Post by delridge » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:51 am

I don't know how much was joking and how much was serious, but the chat down at the corner market on my street is that the mayor probably has a relative in the cement tile business.

And if you're in the cement tile business, I suspect that where other people might see "beautiful tree", you would simply see "space that could otherwise be tiled over with cement"!

Matt

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:10 pm

We say "ateş olmayan yerden duman çıkmaz" you know :wink: if there's smoke, there must be fire" :D
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

starman

Post by starman » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:35 pm

I also heard that the mayor wasnt happy with the finished product and wants it done all over again :shock: so a few more months of walking in a mud bath when it rains.

BTW did anyone know what happened to the rats that lived under those trees? got evicted I supose.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:20 am

This is a sad situation in Turkey. Like Istanbul and here in Antalya we have similar problems withe the Konyaatli beach front. Every winter the the waves and the wind destroy a certain part of the walk way and road. My question is way doesn't the local governments make these structures more stable to begin with???? :evil: It all comes down to our tax dollars or liras. Also the roads. They pave them and them dig them up again over and over!!!!!! It must be going into someones pockets.

MW

Re: Istiklal - what happened to the trees??

Post by MW » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:42 pm

It is 6 years since my original 'trees are gone' post. This week, I've returned to town after an absence of a few years and.... well the paving seems to have deteriorated quite a bit. At the current rate of decline, I wonder what I'll find next year?

turkeytom
Site Admin

Re: Istiklal - what happened to the trees??

Post by turkeytom » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 pm

You may find it all ripped up and in the process of being re-surfaced, at great expense....

The At Meydanı (Hippodrome) was completely resurfaced in 2012 with paving blocks. It needed something, but the new blocks are set apart the exact width of a cigarette butt. When a butt gets stuck in there, it's there almost forever. (Not that anyone in Istanbul smokes and throws butt-ends....)

It's a big improvement over what was there before, but in a city of smokers, you think the butts might have come to mind....

Tom Brosnahan