Please read! Off-topic Fake Posters

General chat as in a "çay evi" (Turkish tea house).

Moderator: sinan

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Please read! Off-topic Fake Posters

Post by turkeytom » Mon May 14, 2007 4:38 pm

People who post off-topic messages in order to advertise services and set up links to boost the search engine ratings of their own websites are a big problem on all online forums these days.

They have appeared on the TTP Forums now as well.

One person or a small group of these fakers subscribe to forums, then post leading questions under one name so they can answer them under another name and recommend a hotel, travel agency or other service. At first glance, other forum participants may believe that these "recommendations" are valid.

On second reading, however, one can usually tell that they are "suspicious."

I do my best to keep "fake" subscribers off the TTP Forums, but some still slip through and post messages. I've noticed several recently, recommending services both in Turkey and in other travel destinations.

If you feel that some forum messages have been posted by fakers, please send me an email message (mailto:tom@turkeytravelplanner.com) so that I can delete these users and their messages. I have noticed that several Turkish hotels and travel agencies, and at least one hot air balloon company, have posted fake recommendations for themselves.

I welcome travel industry businesses to participate in the TTP Forums openly and honestly, so long as they provide helpful information for travelers in a straightforward manner. Direct advertisements are not allowed, but answers to legitimate questions that may mention a travel business are permitted, and even welcomed.

I recommend that TTP users avoid businesses that dishonestly post fake messages. If they will do that, what else might they do to fool you? What are they hiding? Why won't they post messages openly?

I'll do my best to keep the TTP Forums as an open, informative, valuable discussion area for all honest travelers and business owners who want to help one another.

Tom Brosnahan

jessicaz

tom - might want to use flagging

Post by jessicaz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:16 pm

just something to consider for your site if spamming is a problem, is allowing users to "flag" suspicious or spam messages, that way if you are seeing flags some several users, it's easy to check and delete messages/users, rather than dealing with loads of email.

thanks for a great and useful site :-)

turkeytom
Site Admin

Re: Please read! Off-topic Fake Posters

Post by turkeytom » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:39 pm

Above each message on the right is a line of snmbols starting with "Edit" and ending with "Quote."

If you click on the upside-down triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it (3rd symbol from the left), you can report an inappropriate message to me.

Thanks!

Tom Brosnahan

ezraman

Post by ezraman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi Tom,
I am a long time reader of your fine site and I've posted a couple messages in forums pertaining to my blog that I feel are informative and valuable. While not strictly a travel blog, posts are meant to describe this country I've lived in for 5 years in my style and voice. I'm not selling anything. Is that okay? http://ezraman.wordpress.com/

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Ezra,

I enjoyed your blog. No problem linking to it.

My goal is to keep the TurkeyTravelPlanner.com forums useful and not to waste visitors' time, which is what unwanted commercial messages and disguised advertisements do.

Tom Brosnahan