ISTANBULKART

General chat as in a "çay evi" (Turkish tea house).

Moderator: sinan

Andrey

ISTANBULKART

Post by Andrey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:58 pm

I have read about IstanbulKart
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... lkart.html
It is very useful as usual (Thank you very much, Tom!)
but I don't understand could I buy IstanbulKart just now?
How much does IstanbulKart cost? Should I first buy this card and then refill it?

Thank you for your answers!

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: ISTANBULKART

Post by davcamp » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:11 pm

Hello,
Istanbulkart after it is purchased you will be able to refill it as needed. Each time you use it the fare-box will display how much value you have left on the card. When you get low (down to 3-4 YTL)...refill it at terminal stations at refilling ATM. I usually refill $20 YTL at a time and keep my eye on how much value I have left after a couple of days.
Safe Travels,
davcamp
http://web.me.com/dav_camp/Istanbul_Tra ... Guide.html

Andrey

Post by Andrey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:34 am

Thank you very much, David!

But how much does IstanbulKart cost?
Akbil costs 6 TL and IstanbulKart?

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Hello,
The Kart is a cardboard pass with magnetic RFID strip. Unlike the Akbil, the Kart does not have to be purchased. At the kiosks where you buy/refill the karts you will have the option to add value to an old Kart, or e presented with a new kart with value added according the the amount of cash you inserted into the kiosk atm.
davcamp

Andrey

Post by Andrey » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:17 am

Thank you very much one more time!
Andrey

deniz

Post by deniz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:48 pm

My husband and I are returning to Istanbul in October and I've just read about the Istanbulkart.

I remember first using an Akbil; it was very difficult to get one - there was a shortage of them apparently. Is it likely that I will have a similar problem getting an Istanbulkart?

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:29 pm

I was in Istanbul in November. The Istanbulkart is still nowhere to be seen. A Turkish friend in the tourism business just rolls his eyes when asked "Where is the Istanbulkart?"

So now you can't buy an Akbil (although if you have one you can recharge it), and you can't get an Istanbulkart. What a mess. :shock:

The city transit authority also seems to be getting rid of the agents in booths who recharged Akbils. Some booths are closed, in others the agent only sells tokens (jeton). Akbils can be recharged at some shops and snack kiosks (like the one near the tram station at Sirkeci), and from the new machines that supposedly sell Istanbulkarts (not available) and Besibiryerde ("Fine-in-one") five-trip fare cards. I haven't yet tried a Besibiryerde (BESH-ee-BEER-yehr-deh—what a clunky name!) so I can't comment.

All in all, the fare systems seems to be going backwards.

If/when they actually implement the Istanbulkart system, things may improve dramatically, but for now it's a hassle.

Here's more on transit fares in Istanbul:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... fares.html

Tom Brosnahan

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the update. My guess is that the merchants of Istanbul are still trying to 'get in on' the Istanbul Kart to tie in admissions to museums, restaurants, etc. This may be causing that Kart delays.
Keninde Cok Iyi Bak,
davcamp

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Actually, I believe it is the tourism-industry people who are pushing the Istanbulkart concept, but the city transit authorities seem to be dragging their feet (just a guess).

In any case, it is not good that such a popular tourist destination as Istanbul, with its enviable record of public transit progress (especially the Akbil) is now left without a convenient refillable multi-trip electronic payment method.

Tom Brosnahan

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 pm

It's now 2013 and the Istanbulkart is finally available readily, including at the Atatürk Airport Metro station. Here's more:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... ahmet.html

Tom Brosnahan