ISTANBULKART

General chat as in a "çay evi" (Turkish tea house).

Moderator: sinan

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Re: ISTANBULKART

Post by steve » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Am I correct in thinking that the Akbil will remain in operation for some time still?

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:21 pm

There seems to be no move to bring their use to an end. Sockets for the Akbil are in all the transit turnstiles in Istanbul.

I'm in Istanbul at the moment and I have used my Akbils recently, although I prefer the Istanbulkart now.

Tom Brosnahan

Anlamiyorum

Akbil? Re: ISTANBULKART

Post by Anlamiyorum » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:26 am

I bought an Akbil on my last trip to Istanbul, 2011, using up all its stored value. With any luck, I'll be back there in 2014. 1) Can it still be refilled? At or near the Ataturk Airport Metro stop? 2) Can it be exchanged for an Istanbulkart? If so, does anyone know where? Teşekkürler.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:12 am

Can't say about the future, but right now Akbils are still in use and can still be refilled with credit at various machines around Istanbul. Supposedly, you can sell an Akbil to the same kiosk at which it's refilled, but it depends on whether the kiosk wants to buy it. It's a dwindling market....

There is now an Istanbulkart machine at the airport Metro station, and you can supposedly buy an Istanbukart there...if the one machine is working.

Tom Brosnahan