Cell phone use, etc.

General chat as in a "çay evi" (Turkish tea house).

Moderator: sinan

scottcarlson

Cell phone use, etc.

Post by scottcarlson » Fri May 04, 2012 9:36 pm

There's a cell phone thread on here that's a couple years old, but am wondering if anyone has more/recent advice, for a non-techie. My wife has an iPhone....We will be traveling, for some of our time, with others from the states. What is the best, cheapest way for us to be able to communicate while within Turkey?

scottcarlson

Re: Cell phone use, etc.

Post by scottcarlson » Fri May 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Ah, I see Tom has a lot of info on the site on this...but if anyone has anything to add....thanks.

Tavsan
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Tavsan » Mon May 07, 2012 3:21 am

A way to save money calling back home if you take your laptop with you is to use Skype and buy some minutes up with Skype. That's not cell phone use per se but it saved me a bundle last year calling home to phones where there was not an online Skype connection.

Tavsan

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Tue May 08, 2012 4:36 pm

If you'll only be in Turkey, I'd suggest a pre-paid Turkcell SIMM. Very inexpensive to call/text within Turkey as well as back to the USA. I once used Verizon--never again! Over $8 per minute no matter where we called. Note that your US phone must be "unlocked" to accept a SIMM from another provider. We bought a simple, used phone and Turkey and use it as our foreign travel phone. Prices vary among countries but none are even close to the insane charges we paid using Verizon. I have no suggestions for a smart phone other than the to say that data charges with the "global" Verizon modem we once used made the telephone charges seem cheap!

tureng

Post by tureng » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Tavsan wrote:A way to save money calling back home if you take your laptop with you is to use Skype and buy some minutes up with Skype. That's not cell phone use per se but it saved me a bundle last year calling home to phones where there was not an online Skype connection.

Tavsan
Agree. It's surprisingly cheap.