Havatas Bus Service - No service Ataturk to Yenikapi Ferry

General chat as in a "çay evi" (Turkish tea house).

Moderator: sinan

Havatas Bus Service - No service Ataturk to Yenikapi Ferry

Post by dancingdiva » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:17 am

Hi Everyone:

I am going to my friends place in Erenkoy (Asian side). Tom said Havatas Airport bus is the best bet for getting from Ataturk to Yenikapi Ferry terminal.

This is what I got in response:

First of all, thank you for contacting us. We don’t have a route from Ataturk Airport to Yenikapi.

Best Regards.

Havataş Customer Services.

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Havatas Bus Service - No service Ataturk to Yenikapi Fer

Post by David Morgan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:48 am

That's not good, since they say there's a service on their website:

"For every ferryboat journey; Yenikapi IDO - Taksim - Yenikapi IDO; Yenikapi IDO - Ataturk Airport - Yenikapi IDO"

Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Havatas Bus Service - No service Ataturk to Yenikapi Fer

Post by turkeytom » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:20 am

Okay, so I don't know what's going on now.

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for Turkish companies to change their policies and services but not their website(s).

1. First, check at the airport to see if the Havataş bus actually *does* stop at Yenikapı. If not...

2. Take the Metro from Atatürk Airport to Zeytinburnu, then change platforms and take the Kabataş tram to Yusufpaşa, from which it's a 20-minute (1.6 km/1 mile) walk southeast to Yenikapı. It's not a particularly pleasant walk, and certainly not clearly-marked, and crossing Kennedy Caddesi (the shore road) can be hair-raising.

3. Take a taxi from Atatürk Airport to the Yeşilyurt Banliyö Treni station, then a suburban train (Direction: Sirkeci) to the Yenikapı station, then cross Kennedy Caddesi (is your life insurance paid up?) to the Yenikapı ferry terminal.

4. Take a taxi all the way. Then you're in for the adventure of an Istanbul taxi ride which, as often as not, involves hassle. Read this:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... lTaxi.html

5. You'll have good service and a pleasant experience if you use the Efendi Travel transfer service:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... k_xfr.html

...but for this simple trip between major transport termini there should be easy, inexpensive, reliable public transit.

Istanbul's public transport policies used to be so passenger-friendly, but they seem to be getting more and more difficult. To get into the Yenikapı ferry terminal you must now walk around construction (few signs guide you), then pass through airport-style security...even just to buy a ticket. The ferry company (IDO) wants you to buy your ferry ticket online, but their website doesn't always work right.

It's a fight to get where you want to go.... :(

Tom Brosnahan