Turkish SIM card

General chat as in a "çay evi" (Turkish tea house).

Moderator: sinan

GT_CT

Turkish SIM card

Post by GT_CT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:00 pm

I noticed this nice (cheap) prepaid mobile offer:

http://www.avea.com.tr/web/KonusMesajla ... hreeBundle

it seems this is only for 3G mobile, I have it (Samsung dual sim one), do you know if I can use my own 3G mobile with Avea sim card?

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Turkish SIM card

Post by turkeytom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 am

Here's what I know:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/deta ... cards.html

The biggest problem with using your mobile phone in Turkey is that (a) the government controls—and heavily taxes—mobile phones, but there seems to be NO reliable information about how it is done, what one must pay, how long usage lasts, etc. I looked into buying a Turkish mobile phone on my trip in October 2014, and got different and conflicting information from everyone I asked, including at mobile phone stores. Nobody knows! You just go, see what happens, and hope your phone works—and that it doesn't cost too much.

Tom Brosnahan

jonno76

Post by jonno76 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:42 am

I understand that there have been changes to the policy regarding foreigners using their phones (roaming or with local sim card) with a grace period of up to 60 before it will be blocked.

If I travel to Turkey for 2 weeks, buy a local sim.. use it... go home at the end of the 2 weeks. Then 4 months later return to Turkey.. will my phone remain blocked? or am I given another 60-day grace period and I can buy another sim card?

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Post by turkeytom » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Yes, the government and the phone companies in Turkey, after years of confusion, seem to have - mostly - figured out a policy on mobile phones imported for short periods. The details are here:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/deta ... cards.html

However, I do not yet know the answer to your question. I'm in the same situation. I bought a SIM and a TL25 packet of services (phone minutes, SMS and Internet access) from Turkcell and used my mobile quite happily during my recent trip in Turkey. Shortly after beginning to use my Turkcell SIM, I received the official message telling me that because my mobile device was not in the Registry, service would be suspended after 60 days.

My use of my mobile in Turkey was about 21 days. When I return in the autumn, I do not know if my mobile will be able to connect to Turkish networks or not. I also do now know where to get reliable information on this question.

Ironically, I have actually PAID the government fee of TL131.50 to have my phone registered, but after paying it I was told by Turkcell that only official residents of Turkey (Turkish citizens and foreigners with Residence Permits [İkamet Tezkeresi]) were permitted to register phones!

Why this should be so I don't know. The government gets its money and my registration data. Why can't I use my phone again later?

If the government wants to encourage repeat tourism, it does not help to cut off repeat visitors' communications lifeline.

Tom Brosnahan

jonno76

Post by jonno76 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:48 pm

I agree it does sound very heavy handed and frustrating. At least offer registration to frequent visitors. It would be good if you can give us an update when you return in the autumn. Thanks for the information!