Advice to improve security for upcoming Turkey trip

General chat as in a "çay evi" (Turkish tea house).

Moderator: sinan

Adeline35

Advice to improve security for upcoming Turkey trip

Post by Adeline35 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:18 pm

We're visiting Turkey for the first time end of May thru June. Spending time in Istanbul, Selcuk, Pamukkale, Fethiye, Capadoccia...visiting many sites which we've wanted to see for years. With each travel warning from the State Dept. I admit to increased worry. Any safety suggestions about visiting well known tourist sites..i.e. time of day, day of week, whatever.

Marilyn
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Advice to improve security for upcoming Turkey trip

Post by Marilyn » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Good Morning, I am from Canada and have been travelling frequently to Turkey since 2002 and have visited many key tourist sites in the country as well as lesser known destinations. In 2006 I purchased a house in Ayvalik which I have now restored and spend many weeks of the year in this beautiful coastal town. The Canadian government indicates at this time that Canadians, and I am sure other foreign nationals, should avoid areas close to the Syrian border. Otherwise vigilance to your surroundings is a matter of course. There have been 2 recent suicide bombings in Istanbul, one in Sultanahmet and one on Istiklal Caddessi. These are both high tourist areas however I have been in both of these places within the last 2 months with no incidents - there are still crowds of people enjoying the historical sites, cafes and shops. My belief is that terrorists know no bounds and that it would be impossible for me to determine where, when and if subversives plan to attack. Terrorism is not exclusive to Turkey therefore I continue to venture out to explore and enjoy the wonders of this marvelous and generous country. You will be surrounded by thousands of people who also want to experience the same. There is also good police presence in high tourist areas. Everyone of course must make their own decision about where and when to travel and that is done based on one's comfort level. I reflect however on Chris Hadfield's (retired Canadian astronaut) comment to a little 5 year old boy Timur about Timur's fear regarding the welfare of the Voyageur Satellite in space - Chris said to Timur, “What makes you laugh? It’s not just hiding underneath your bed safely at home.” So - I use this as my motto for life. Go out and experience life, get out from underneath my bed, laugh and be happy. Life always holds its risks..........................M.