Mixed Turkish Baths

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

gwynaeth

Mixed Turkish Baths

Post by gwynaeth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:33 am

I just want to warn women that if you opt to go for the mixed Turkish bath, the hamam attendants are all men. I had a very young male attendant at a mixed Turkish bath in Istanbul, and it was a bit akward for a variety of reasons (I will not go into detail here). Also, beware that they will probably massage your breasts without asking and that this is considered appropriate. They will go under your towel or whatever you are wearing without asking in all liklihood, so do not be shocked!

suppiluliuma
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Mixed Turkish Baths

Post by suppiluliuma » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:00 am

gwynaeth wrote:I just want to warn women that if you opt to go for the mixed Turkish bath, the hamam attendants are all men. I had a very young male attendant at a mixed Turkish bath in Istanbul, and it was a bit akward for a variety of reasons (I will not go into detail here). Also, beware that they will probably massage your breasts without asking and that this is considered appropriate. They will go under your towel or whatever you are wearing without asking in all liklihood, so do not be shocked!
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Long live Gwynaeth! Mixed hamam!!! You can find it only in multi star touristic facilities; definitely not traditional. Such "mixed" places are impossible in islamic cultures. :D
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Post by turkeytom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:33 pm

In a traditional Turkish bath, men and women are rigidly separated by gender. Women bathe with women, and massage is done by masseuses. Men bathe with men, and are massaged by masseurs. There are no "mixed" or "co-ed" baths.

No Turkish woman would accept a masseur.

However, foreign couples often want to experience the Turkish bath together. Some hamams have adapted to this demand by accepting foreign men and women at the same time. In most cases, the foreign bathers have bathing suits (whereas in the traditional bath, women are stark naked, though men wear a wrap below the waist).

The problem is that men (I know, I'm one!) often allow fantasies of their "desirability" to take over and presume that a woman they have contact with wants them to make amorous advances. This usually leads to discomfort and insult to the woman.

If you have doubts about a certain hamam's policies, ask about them: women only? Male attendants or female attendants? Bathing suits or naked?

Tom Brosnahan

Yentakvetch

Post by Yentakvetch » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:27 am

The two hamams I experienced were single sex with men on one side and women on the other. I would have never gone to a "mixed" hamam. That would have been waaaay out of my comfort zone. I definitely recommend hamams. I was a bit timid about it but liked it so much I went twice.