Running in Turkey

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

ess

Running in Turkey

Post by ess » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm a runner and I'm currently training for a marathon... and I will be in Turkey for a few weeks beginning in August. I'm curious about a couple things:

What kind of reaction can I expect as a woman runner? I don't plan on wearing shorts and I can take a bit of heckling. (In comparison, I lived in Cairo last year and did not run outside b/c of the response.)

Is there in fact anywhere to run? I don't mind streets so long as there are sidewalks. I'll be in Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Kas.

Thanks for any advice,
Emily

suppiluliuma
How many stars? **: 0

Post by suppiluliuma » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:36 am

Hi Emily,
Istanbul has kilometers of coasts at both sides of Bosphorus and Marmara Sea. You can't find such enjoyable places for running, anywhere in the world. Just wear what you want and get yourself to the nearest sea side walkway. Nobody will care about you.
My favorite place for running and biking is the Anatolian side "Sahilyolu" lying over 10 km between Caddebostan and Pendik by the sea of Marmara, with a great view of Princess islands.
Enjoy your trip.

By the way, are you joining Eurasian Marathon which is organized in October every year in Istanbul? It's the only marathon run between two continents. :)
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:56 am

Oh, I forgot...
Cappadocia and Kaş... my God really the most devastating running courses they are. In Cappadocia you better wear warm up, but in Kaş you can run even in bikinis.
Believe me you'll feel free and comfortable.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

Tavsan

Post by Tavsan » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:30 pm

Emily:

Well Turkey can certainly enhance your training. It can offer you just about any kind of training diversity that you want. You may want to be a little more on your toes with regard to traffic but if you run in a park or less crowded area you will likely find it necessary to be so worried about traffic.

Heat! Whew it can get hot there. Stay hydrated.

Hills~The best hills anywhere and the Taurus Mountains (stretch a lot) :P

One thing good for the heat is a number of the good fruit juices that Turkey has to offer. I suggest the peach. Also, they have a great assortment of fresh nuts such as almonds, walnuts, etc. They will help you keep the sodium in you and give you a little needed protein for all that muscle you'll build!

Have fun, train hard.

Tavsan

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 am

Hi Emily,
you will not get any funny response when you are running in touristy areas and not in Istanbul. The best place for running is along the Sea of Marmara on the Asian side you can run for many kiometers from Kadiköy to Kartal, Pendik. All along this is renovated and is only pedestrian with lots of work out areas too. And a free gorgeous view over the Princes islands. The pavement is good and not hilly. Busy in the weekends though!
I think this is the best place in all Turkey for running, if you like some hilly running then take the ferry to Büyükada and you can run around the island. There is no traffic, only bikes and fayton (horse pulled cart). They usually go around right way, if you go clockwise you will face them coming towards you.
I would not recommend to run just along the streets as the pavements are very high, and many times bad and unequal.
All over Istanbul people will be used to see a woman in sporty clothes, in Cappedocia it might be a bit different, like Göreme is more religious but I do think the people are used through the amount of tourists that visit the area.
There are no sidewalks between the places, at least not that I remember, but Cappedocia has lots of hiking tracks in the valleys like Rose Valley.
Good luck!