Good new and bad news! Help

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

antsytraveler

Good new and bad news! Help

Post by antsytraveler » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:09 pm

Hello to all! Good news and bad news. I have a free ticket for 50 days!!Fabulous, no? Bad news--I wasn´t finically prepared to spend this much time and am haveing trouble finding accomodations that won´t take all my money!! I´ll be there for Sept. and Oct.
First, I am 62, female, traveling alone for my first trip outside of where I live (Colombia, South America). I speak english and pretty fair spanish.
Sorry, I have a list of questions if someone has a few answers I will truly appreciate it.

!. Once there, will I be able to find safe and clean rooms for $30 or under? I have never shared a room as in a dorm room and really have no idea what to expect (security of my personal belongings, quiet, respect of roommates etc.)

2. I am a very light sleeper, and very sensitive to the heat at night when trying to get the little bit of sleep I get. How hot are the nights during this time? I sent an email to the Guest house suggested by TTP asking about AC and hot water 3 days ago, and still no response. I´m hoping the nights are cool-cold and not need the AC (below 78 f).

3.Will I have trouble finding people who speak some English or Spanish? I am studying the vocabulary on this site, but with no one to give me a clue on accent and pronunciation, I may be in trouble. Also here in Colombia there are no tourist guide books or dictionaries to help me.

4. How safe is it to walk around with a backpack or camera around your neck, or to use your camera in public? (You wouldn´t be advised doing such a thing here by yourself, and certainly not a lone female).

5. Do women wear much make up?

More questions, but I´ll put them in another post. This site will be my saviour for this trip!! I´m excited, but very nervous at the same time!
Thank you so much!! :( :)

Alondra
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Alondra » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:13 pm

Hola!
No creo q debas preocuparte mucho por la seguridad, especialmente si eres de colombia :), ya debes saber q cosas llaman la atencion de ladrones y como comportarte. Yo soy de chile y en istanbul me senti bastante segura, como me siento en santiago, tomar minimas precausiones y no andar sola por lugares oscuros, etc. Yo me voy unos dias sola a conocer izmir y estoy muy tranquila.
Las mujeres turcas me parecieron como cualquier mujer en otro lado, no vi mucho maquillaje, normal como en todas partes.
Si no esperas lujo creo q vas a poder arreglartelas con los 30 por noche en una pieza single, hay varias pensiones baratas y decentes pero no se lo del aire acondicionado. en esas pensiones la doble esta entre 30-40 euros y la single debe costar menos. en izmir por lo q he visto por 21 dolares encuentras single en un hotelsito pequeno y sin lujo.
la gente en turquia es muy simpatica. Ni el ingles ni el espanol me sirvieron mucho pa comunicarme pero la gente es muy servicial y te ayuda de todas formas.
q lo pases bien y quedate tranquila, turquia es un lugar fascinante y me moriria de ganas de tener los 50 dias q tienes tu pa pasear en turquia.

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:48 am

Hola ladies :)
Alondra, I know that you are very happy to find somebody to speak in your native language and you are enjoying it. :) But, how I wish I could understand what you are saying, or best, I could speak Spanish. There may be something to add :wink:
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

antsytraveler

Muchas Gracia Alondra

Post by antsytraveler » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Hola Alondra
Gracias por la mensaje. Intendido muy bien. Tengo mucho verguenza de escribir en Español!! Usteds es muy facil a intender. No soy preoccupado de securidad como usted ja sabe como es aqui. Estoy mas preoccupado de el dinero por esto viaje. Usteds sabe como la vida aqui es bastante economico (mucho mas de Europa y USA y Chili tambien). Estoy buscando mas pensiones and guest houses.
Proximo año me voy viajar por America de Sur, si Dios quire, y tengo planes de pasar algo dias en ustedes bonita paise.
No escribo mucho en Español y erspera que mi entiende. Lo vi como bien ustedes habla en Engles!! Ojala mi Español era asi!!

PS for Suppi......You know ladies have to have their secrets!

Alondra

Post by Alondra » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:54 pm

sorry for the spanish, no prob for me, i just thought it will be easier that way (at least its easier for me :) )
About the money as I told u before, if u are not looking for luxury travel, it will be ok. Food is cheap there as well.
If u travel next year to chile u can write and I can give u some good tips, I know the country quite well...

Al
TTP Expert

Post by Al » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:44 am

Some of this depends on what you can tolorate. At 49, I'm past the youth hostel/dorm/shared bathroom thing. When I travel on a tight budget, I look for pensions that have private rooms. I think in most places, you will be able to find something for about around $30USD, but it will not be fancy and it will take some looking.

If you are spending more than a few days in any one spot, mention this in the request for a room quote. You should get a discount for paying in cash. It's accepted to negotiate for a rate, but be reasonable and remember, you're there is high season.Expect it to take two days for an e-mail to be answered. Beyond that, be warned.

I budget $25 a day for food, water, snacks. You won't eat fancy on that, but you'll find plenty of good food. In fact, in some of the smaller towns, you can eat like a king on $25 a day.

I never heard Spanish in Turkey, but most people who deal with travelers speak some English. You might have some problems if your English is heavily accented.

antsytraveler

Post by antsytraveler » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:02 am

Thanks Al. I´m not really into the dorm room thing either. I´ve been looking and so far not finding $30 night in anything more than shared rooms. With the time I have several nights in one place is a good possibility and will remember to bargain for my multi night stays and discounts. This should get me closer.
I live in Colombia, so bargaining is not a problem, and I can´t imagine eating $25 a day. Breakfast (included) and lunch usually does me for the day. Maybe a snack in the evening. I always eat with the locals and am use to public transport (though I am American, I really don´t live like one anymore.) I´m feeling a little better about my budget from the replies I got. Can´t let this opportunity pass me by because of money!! Can´t take it with me!
The world is a book with many pages. Do you really want to read the same page every day of your life?? Turn the page!

Al
TTP Expert

Post by Al » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:16 am

Perhaps you could post the places you plan to visit and people can post specific suggestions of places to stay.

I will say that in just the past few years, I've seen the prices of housing take a bigger jump than would be expected. More people traveling and a softer dollar, I expect.

Much2CnDeu

Post by Much2CnDeu » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:44 am

Dear AT,

It was great to read your posts in Spanish! In Turkey, most people speak English. You'll be fine.

I have no idea if you'll find a hotel room for $30/night. Hostels are in that range. If you're sensitive to heat and noise, though, staying in a hostel could be challenging.

With a camera around your neck, you'll be a distinct advertisement that you're a tourist. You'll receive lots of attention from salesmen! Take particular care with your wallet and passport as you would in any busy city. Backpacks put a smile on a pick-pocket's face.

Make-up is fine - not a problem. It'll be warm in September, and cooler in October. You'll need to be dressed appropriately when visiting mosques, and keep a scarf on hand.

Have a great time!

antsytraveler

Post by antsytraveler » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:31 pm

Thank you Al and MD
Al, I´m still making my plans and investigating. I Started this morning with what I have to see, and then will organize in order (do you guys know how much work this is!!)

MD- Well, I guess I could have been a little more specific! I usually carry my pack in front of me (like a baby) and only use it to carry purchases :D , H20, extra shoes, etc. (I learned to carry my pack in front here in Colombia where there are the same problems of pickpockets and worse, where they may slash the pack to grab what they can and run (I honestly have never seen this, just heard of it). AND, I was a little extreme about the camera :roll: . I usually only take it out for a photo and put it back in the pack or purse. Sometimes, though, there is just so much to photo I like to carry it (around my neck so it can´t be grabbed easily) for a distance shooting as I go.
There is no problem picking me out as a tourist! I look like one even in the states!! To darn white!! But I have perfected the walk and look straight ahead, or straight trough someone, without a blink of the eye. I can be deaf as a stone when I want to be, and not understand ANY language if I don´t want to. (that´s how I survive here- same problems with touts etc).
The world is a book with many pages. Do you really want to read the same page every day of your life?? Turn the page!