How little is to little

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

tammytravels

How little is to little

Post by tammytravels » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:30 am

I´m having a time deciding what to take. Only once suitcase, the kind that USE to be allowed as carryon luggage by the airlines and now they say its to big. (really not much bigger than the carryon allowed now.) This is because I need to be able to manage everything by myself so I don´t get in a bad situatioin someplace. I just can´t handle more than this, plus a purse or small satchel of some kind.
I´m hoping jeans will get me by 99% of the time. I don´t plan on doing fine dineing (budget reasons), but may find myself with a group tour that my dress a little better. Would one pair of casual cotton or Poly pants and a casual blouse (not t-shirt), but sufficient? Clean, pressed, just not dressy. It´s more important for me to spend my money on sightseeing and traveling than on fine dining and trendy spots along the way. I know this is purely a personal thing, and many people my age may go for ¨nicer¨ clothes, but...Opinions please
I can bring more casual pants, but I don´t mind wearing jeans more than once, where other pants I won´t wear twice without laundering. This really may TO much information (as my daughter says--"Mom! TMI!"
How are laundry facilities in hotels, pensions, etc? Readily avail. or hard to come by?
Life isn´t fair, that´s why bras come in different sizes

lorien_i
How many stars? **: 0

Post by lorien_i » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:11 am

Well, if you want to travel light, I would ditch the jeans. Jeans are heavy to pack, warm to wear, not dressy and take FOREVER to dry if you've hand-washed them. Additionally, they are the worst thing to wear when wet, so if you've gotten caught in the rain, they're horrible.

I'd recommend going for a pair or two of light cotton or nylon or nylon/cotton pants, including perhaps a pair of capris. They will stand up to dirt/sweat better, dry easier, and can be 'dressed up' with less effort. Even if you are wearing a solid gold shirt, jeans will still look casual! I'm bringing a pair of nylon hiking capris (totally quick dry) in brown and a pair of lightweight cotton black capris and (maybe) a pair of brown hiking pants in a blend that also can be buttoned up to be capris if the weather is warmer. One pair of shorts that I can swim in, a few tshirts and one long-sleeve t, a black zip-up fleece and a down vest (that compresses to nothing) and I think I'm set. With the black capris, a black tshirt and the black fleece I can go to a nicer restaurant and not stick out too badly, I hope -- at least in Vancouver that would be fine.

We are only taking carry-on luggage: soft-sided convertable backpacks from MEC (like REI in the States) that were very inexpensive ($42) and very sturdy. After packing it with mostly lightweight cotton and quick-dry nylon that we usually use for backpacking, we will be in good shape and travelling light.

ptemiz

Clothing

Post by ptemiz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:32 am

Have to agree that jeans aren't that practical. Anywhere that has hotels also has a laundry that will wash and dry your clothes very cheaply - you pay extra for ironing. You can also hand wash stuff and dry on balcony/roof. Unless you are travelling out side the 'tourist trail' areas you don't have to worry about dress codes i.e. covering yourself up, just have a headscarf in your purse in case you want to go into a mosque.

Al
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Al » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:20 pm

>How are laundry facilities in hotels, pensions, etc? Readily avail. or hard to come by?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Unfortunately, they are almost non-existent. Hotels usually offer a laundry service that is very expensive. Some pensions will do laundry for you for far less. The good old USA laundromat is no where to be found.

ptemiz

Laundry

Post by ptemiz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:34 pm

When were you last here Al? Laundry service is everywhere and even in the smallest pansiyon the owner's wife will do your laundry if asked.

tammytravels

This is great news

Post by tammytravels » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:32 pm

I´m taking one pair of jeans for states, the rest cotton. I have a little laundry detergent to do light laundy when I get back to the hotel. (Hint): Roll your wet clothes in a towel and it soaks up the water pretty good. Hair dryers are great to finish drying hard to dry parts in the morning that didn´t dry (around pockets, etc). If all else, fails, dry it with the iron.
I really thought the jeans were the least worry, without considering weight. An extra pair of shoes are more important for me.
I´ve read several places the need to be a little dressy at night in some places, but if things go according to plan (HA!), I shouldn´t have any energy left! AND they´ll just have to take my greenbacks as they come.
Repacking tonight (yes, I already started).
Awsome group of people here! :D
Life isn´t fair, that´s why bras come in different sizes