Woman Traveling solo in Turkey

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

roaringwithlions
How many stars? **: 0

Woman Traveling solo in Turkey

Post by roaringwithlions » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:51 pm

Hi, guys... I ama 37 years old quite adventurous argentinean... I love to travel on my own, ocasionally paring up with other fellow backpackers for portions of the trip. Already did a year in SE Asia, 6 months from Kenya to South Africa, and this is going to be my closest approach to the final frontier: the muslim world. Absolutely love it!!! I am so looking forward for this trip! Will be traveling for three month: an entire one for Turkey, one between Syria and Jordan, and another full month in Egypt.

I will be arriving next April -yeah, I know! so in advance! - but I was reading almost all posts on the forums and already contacted both hammans reccomended by some, and got prices and schedules. Excelent data, x´s!

I am a very well player of Backgammon, I play since I am a child, and just love it. I even travel with a magnet one, so I can play during long bus rides. Are the tea houses the only places abailable to play? I usually play online with turkish people, and I will love to play face to face with some. I will be staying in SultanAhmet, anu suggestions around that area for a tea house or the like I can go in as a woman?
We are in this life for exactly four days. Don´t waist them-

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:11 am

Don't expect all Turks to be good backgammon players, just because they play it a lot. And learn the numbers well.
http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/deta ... ds_10.html

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:50 pm

Good Morning,
In Sultanahmet you can go to any teahouse, they welcome both men and women.
If you are an avid backgammon player you should visit Taksim and Besiktas. Walk around for few minutes and you'll find a venue to meet & play with other players.
If you need help -- look for a female who looks like University age (20-25), they will likely speak some english, ask directions for tavla-playing-location.
Safe travel!
davcamp