Sabiha Gokcen to SultanAhmet transfer

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

roaringwithlions
How many stars? **: 0

Sabiha Gokcen to SultanAhmet transfer

Post by roaringwithlions » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:06 pm

Hello, guys... here I go again with a new question....

I will be arriving in Sabiha Gokcen Airport at 1:30AM by myself, a woman, and I need to find out the best - safest- cheapest way to go to my hostel in SultanAhmet.

All quotes I got from companies locally is for 40 Euros, something like a couple of days salaries here in Argentina... quite expensive for me. I googled a lot, but it doesn´t seem to exist at these wee hours a shuttle services to take me there, and all services are based in 1-4 pax. Unless I happen to find other travellers in the plane going to the same area, I think I will have to stay till 6AM when shuttles starts to Sultanahmet...

Can someone help me with this?? I went through zillions of local agencies that offer transfers, but they seems all the same, a fixed rate of 40 Euros. Can you suggest a company YOU KNOW they provide this services on a shuttle basis, that I can purchase just 1 SEAT???

I am not looking forward AT ALL to spend 6 hours at the airport, specially when I have to fly 18 Hours to Frankfurt, wait there for 10 hours and take de flight to Turkey for 5 and a half hours...

Thank you in advance!!
We are in this life for exactly four days. Don´t waist them-

steve

Post by steve » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:14 pm

40 Euros isn't actually that bad for a private transfer. SAW is a long way from Sultanahmet.

roaringwithlions

Transfer

Post by roaringwithlions » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:07 pm

I am not saying it is expensive, I am saying FOR ME IT IS. My question, though was: Anyone knows of a shuttle service at that time for that flight? I am aware that is a private transfer, that I don´t want. Sabiha is quite new, and things and happening as we speak, so if anyone has some valuable news to give, here I am! I got an email from the airport itself, saying I can take a shuttle from there to Taskim (or something like that) then a ferry and then a taxi... but seems a hard way to do it. If I must stay at the airport till 6AM I will... for me 40 Euros means 2 days traveling.

Thanks, guys...

steve

Post by steve » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:22 pm

What I'm saying is that it's the going rate. It's worth trying the TTP page for this airport, but I'm not aware of any new night bus service and there is usually a lot of pressure from taxi drivers to try and stop municipalities from providing decent public transport at airports (not just in Turkey either!).

It's easy to get caught out by a cheap fare to this one and an expensive transfer. I do agree that 40Euro is a lot and you're probably financially better off waiting until morning.

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:04 pm

YES....AFTER YOU GET OUT OF AIRPORT LOOK FOR HAVAS BUS SERVICE TOWARD ISTANBUL CITY CENTER...IT WILL COST ABOUT 8 TURKISH LIRA (ABOUT 6 US DOLLARS). THEY MAY LEAVE YOU OFF AT TAKSIM JUST 10 MINUTE TAXI RIDE FROM SULTANHAMET AT THAT TIME OF NITE.
SAFE TRAVEL,
davcamp

roaringwithlions

Thank you!

Post by roaringwithlions » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:26 pm

You gave me great info, davecamp! thanks for that! I will look then for the Havas buses, and then... if it is not too much trouble... can you tell me the approximate rate for that taxi ride? What I understood is that I had to take that bus to a port, then a ferry and then a taxi... but your solution seems much simpler!!!

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Usually at that time of nite the meter price is augmented.
Still, with no traffic you can take a 10 min taksi ride and should cost around 8-11 USD?
Another option, is to take a city bus directly to Sultanahmet (if they run at that time of night..maybe Sinan knows)? If that is the case, look-listen for bus terminal...it is very close (about 100 meters) to where Havas leaves you off at, and, ask for bus to Sultanahmet or Yedikule...they both pass that way.
Another option is to take a dolmus (mini-bus), for only about 1YTL (about 80 cents USD). I am not sure if there is a dolmus at that time of night...maybe Sinan knows?
davcamp....

sinan

Post by sinan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi,

I was busy and still busy BUT someone mentioned my name here that's why I am writting here.

1) There is NO BUS between Sabiha Gokcen Airport and Sultanahmet.
2) CITY BUS stops running after 23.00 so you can not find ANY city bus in Istanbul.

I recommend you take a taxi or wait for SHUTTLE to TAKSIM then take subway to Sirkeci or Sultanahmet

If you are looking for city bus here is the web page for Sabiha gokcen aiport

http://www.iett.gov.tr/en/saat/harekets ... atler.y=12

then you can find other connections to sirkeci or sultanahmet

You can find HAVAS information here:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... s_bus.html

Have a nice trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz