taxis at airport

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

anu_k

taxis at airport

Post by anu_k » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:46 pm

hi
i am a rather nervous traveller and will be travelling to istanbul for my first visit.
my flight will be arriving at the airport at around 10pm on a friday night. and as a woman travelling on my own i wanted to get some advice on how easy it is to catch a taxi from airport at such a late hour on friday. would it be recommended to book a private taxi in advance?
many thanks

suppiluliuma
How many stars? **: 0

Re: taxis at airport

Post by suppiluliuma » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Don't worry, the time you're landing is not too late. When you get out through the arrivals' gate, you'll see a lot of yellow taxis waiting for clients. Keep in mind that taximeters count double after midnight.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:11 pm

Anou k,
A taxi to city center may cost you a small fortune (30-60 USD contingent on traffic).
Please consider taking a Havas Bus for just 8 YTL (7 bucks USD).
After you pick up your luggage and pass thru doors to exit (where you would catch a taxi), look for Havas bus or ask some one "Havash autobus?" There is always one out there loading passengers while waiting for more. I think they depart every 15 min. or so.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... s_bus.html

The bus offers a 20-30 minute ride to city center (Taksim) for a fraction of the price and you'll sit high on comfortable seats with a good view of some landmarks on the way in.
(By the way the taxi availablilty is Istanbul is over-prevalant. Even is you were blind-literaly you'd bump into one within seconds anytime day or nite). From Taksim (where Havas disembarks) your driver will hand you luggage from cargo hold, from there you can take a $ 5-10 USD taxi to your hotel. Where are you staying at?
davcamp

anu_k

Post by anu_k » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:09 pm

thank you both for your advice.

i am happy to hear about the availability or should i say overavailability of taxis and other transport options. i was worried that i might have to wait around for ages by myself in an unfamiliar place - but you have put my mind at ease.

i am staying at the conrad istanbul for the weekend. it appears to be abit out of the way location wise but i didn't really have a choice as i am meeting a friend who is already out there. hopefully with a bit of planning i will be able to get the most from my short visit.

many thanks
anu

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:18 pm

You are welcome.
Conrad is near Yidliz Park...save time and money by taking a nice comfy Havas Bus from airport exit door. It will cost far less than a taxi and you'll 'feel' safer riding in a group of people.
Exit Havas at Taksim and immediately you see be inundated with so many cabs, take your pick and tell them "Conrad Hotel." Ride from bus to Conrad s/b about 5 minutes.
Safe travel,
davcamp

anu_k

Post by anu_k » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:16 pm

davcamp
just to let you know... i took your advice and got the havas bus to taksim (and the taxi from there only cost me 12YTL). you were right it was easy, cheap, comfortable and safe.
thanks for the tip.
anu

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:29 pm

You are welcome. You can also take Havas back to airport from where it dropped you off.

How long will you be at The Conrad?
davcamp

Zarifa

Post by Zarifa » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:19 am

Hi, I will be in Istanbul soon- we're staying in Sultanhamet near the Bazzar. Would the same advice work for me? Thank you :) Also, is there anywhere one can get a map of Istabul maybe even with things like metro or bus stops marked? And one last question- I've been told to 'make sure the meter is on' when riding in a taxi--not being a taxi car frequenter (and feeling very sheepish) how does one know that the meter is on??

Thank you!
-Z

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Here are info on getting to Sultanahmet...
http://www.go2istanbul.info/go2istanbul ... _City.html