female wants to visit Istanbul, in need of advice please

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

fiona

female wants to visit Istanbul, in need of advice please

Post by fiona » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Hello
I'm an english 25year old, currently staying in Kusadasi for a couple of weeks and i'm wanting to visit Istanbul. I'm not sure if it is better to book with a tour operator, or stay in a hostel and arrange my sightseeing once i'm there? Does anyone know of a good hostel, centrally located, where i can meet plenty of other people?
Thanks

davcamp1
How many stars? **: 0

Re: female wants to visit Istanbul, in need of advice please

Post by davcamp1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Good Morning,
Google 'Taksim Hostel" There is one right near subway station. Tour I don't think you'll need...but if you do you should book one after you get into Istanbul.
My suggestion...get into the city and get a feel for the Tramway System. The Sultanahmet tramway station is 20 minutes from Taksim Hostle. In Sultanahmet you can walk to key sighs (Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofya, Hippdrome, Topkapi, Basilica Cistern) all within 5 minutes walking distance from each other. At each location there will be English guides that you can hire at entrances.
Have a look at my website for Istanbul tips... http://web.mac.com/dav_camp/Site/Istanb ... Guide.html
davcamp

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:06 pm

There is no tramway directly to Sultanahmet from Taksim, the hearth of New Istanbul. To get the Tramway you must take the short metro that we call "funicular". The entrence of the Funicular is the same entrence of the metro station at Taksim. You get dawn the steps and ask someone the "funicular" You will be witin a minute in Kabatas (read: Kabatash) Kabatash is at the shore of Bosphotus. On left hand side if you walk some 5 minutes you will be at Dolmabahçe Palace. I advice you to sit at the cafe in the quai of the palace to drink tea or caffee. It is very cheep and awesome. Now lets continue or tram story.
Kabatash is the end and the 1st station of the line which will take you to Sultanahmet, the ancient, 5000 years old part of Istanbul. On the way you will pass Findikli, Karakoy (read: Karakoey), Galata Bridge, Eminonu (Eminoenue), Sirkeci and finaly Sultan Ahmet. Return by the same way.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Mi ... anbul.html
Don't die before visiting Turkey

davcamp1

Post by davcamp1 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Thank you...by Tramway I was making a general statement that from Taksim she may have easy access (via Funikiler) to Sultanhamet. But your info is exactly correct!
Also she can know that if she is staying for a few days or week she should by an Akbil for public transportation fares.
Davcamp

MunürKadı

Post by MunürKadı » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi there,
I would advise you to reserve a hostel in advance and go (without a tour)...You will enjoy it much more...turst me...I have tried both
I stayed with a couple in their apartment in Takseem and it was a nice experience, they host for people from all around in their 3 bedroom flat (she is doing PhD in Physics, and he is doing his in Neurology)
Email me on ([email protected]) and I will be sending you their contact number or email
How long are you staying (because they rent on weekly basis)
A friend of mine stayed in World Hostels Istanbul - which is in Bayağuloö close to Galata tower.
Their email is [email protected] and number is 02 12 293 5520