Single Female traveling from Istanbul to Goreme

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

SCF1981

Single Female traveling from Istanbul to Goreme

Post by SCF1981 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi! I'm going to Turkey in April and will be traveling from Istanbul to Goreme on my own. On this website it recommends taking a train from Istanbul to Ankara (I sleep much better on trains than buses, so I'm keen on this option) but then I'm a little concerned about the rest of the trip to Goreme in terms of safety and not being swindled. Especially as a tall, fair-skinned, blond-haired single female - an obvious tourist. This site recommends taking a cab to Asti and then a bus to Nevsehir, and I'm assuming I'd have to take a bus from Nevsehir to Goreme then as well...? I've read a lot of different things online that recommend NOT stopping in Nevsehir if you don't have to, it sounds like a tourist trap where you're bound to get conned from what I've read online. I'm wondering if anyone has done this route before and what their experience has been? Any tips on how to not get stranded and not get taken advantage of? Also, does anyone know how long the trip is from Nevsehir to Goreme, and whether it's fairly easy to locate a reliable bus service to take you? I'm wondering if I should bag the train idea totally and just take a overnight bus (which I've heard will shuttle me from Nevsehir) even though I won't sleep as well (or maybe at all!)

Tosun Saral
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Single Female traveling from Istanbul to Goreme

Post by Tosun Saral » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Dont worry we Turks are gentle. No body will harm you. No body dares to harm a lady in Turkey. We have great respect to women. They are our mothers, sisters, darlings, wifes, sister in laws. As an alone travelling lady you will be treated gently. Every one will do their best to make you happy. and comfortable.There are also millions of blond, tall and light skinned Turkish women.

The overnight train arrives at 07.30 at Ankara under normal conditions.
There is no train to Nevsehir the capital of the Region called Cappadocia but bus.
There is every 2 hour bus from Ankara to Nevsehir. 09:00, 11.00, 13.00, 15:00, 18.30
The bus company is Nevtur or Nevsehirliler. Tel. number: 0212-4445050 It's office number is 50 at ASTI
It takes 5 hours to Nevsehir. The other touristic towns around Nevsehir are, Urgup, Goreme, Uc Hisar, Avanos.
Avanos is a little faraway. It takes half our from nevsehir to Urgup and goreme. Nevtur bus company carries you till Nevsehir. On the bus the assistant host asks you your destination. You must say goreme or Urgup or ???. At Nevsehir they take the passangers into a mini bus and carry them to their end stations. he bus goes to Nevsehir. If turkish pronounsation is hard for you write on a slip of paper and show the host.

I advice you to take the bus at 15:00 from Ankara. In the mean time you can visit the "Anadolu Medeniyetleri Muzesi" the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, It is a must. Here you can see the 5000 year old masterpieces of Hittite and other civilizations.
Anit Kabir the Mouseleum of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk is also a must to visit in Ankara.
After your arrival to Ankara you can reach the main Autobus terminal of Ankara only by taksi. It costs you 10-15 YL's. The main bus terminal is called "ASTI"
You can reach to museum and Anit Kabir only by taksi.

If you dont want to waste time you can take the night bus to Nevsehir from Istanbul. The same bus company has an office in Istanbul. It will take 10-12 hours. In the next morning you will be in Nevsehir.
Have a nice time in Turkey
Don't die before visiting Turkey

SCF1981

Post by SCF1981 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:50 am

Thank you so much for your reply! The information you provided is extremely helpful and exactly what I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me so thoroughly. I have one last question, if you would be kind enough to answer something else. A travel agency has offered me a package for a cost of 196 euros. Included are round trip train tickets from Istanbul to Ankara, a morning of tours in Ankara at the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations and the Anit Kabir Mouseleum of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, and then transportation to Goreme. Does 196 euros seem like a lot of money for these things? If I can manage the same things on my own for significantly less I'd much rather do that! I have heard that the trains fill up pretty quickly though and it's a good idea to book ahead. The earliest I'd be able to book ahead would be a couple of days...does that seem sufficient? For that reason alone I've thought it might be worthwhile to reserve through a travel agency. Thank you again for your kind response!

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 pm

SCF1981 wrote:Included are round trip train tickets from Istanbul to Ankara, a morning of tours in Ankara at the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations and the Anit Kabir Mouseleum of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, and then transportation to Goreme. Does 196 euros seem like a lot of money for these things?
Yes, I'd say so.

Round trip ticket by train Istanbul to Ankara is what, 150 lira? Tom's Ankara Express page.
Transport around Ankara by taxi - 50 lira?
Museums - 20 lira each?
Bus to Goreme - 40 lira?
= 280 lira at a guesstimate = 125 euros.

This must be the ballpark figure, but other people will probably know better the exact prices.

ptemiz

Post by ptemiz » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Actually there are even more savings as entry to Museum of Anatolian Civilisations (definitely a 'must-see') is only 10TL and there is no charge for Ataturk's Mausoleum as far as I know. So 40TL estimated above should actually only be 10TL.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:16 pm

And I see there's a 20% discount on the return rail fare, so that should be 120 lira.
The fare from Ankara to Goreme by bus is 20 lira each way (with Metro).
Total now = 220 lira = 98 euros.

SCF1981

Post by SCF1981 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Wow!!! You guys are amazing! I appreciate all of the information so much. Thank you all for helping me to plan and envision my trip. Turkey Travel Planner and the people on it are fantastic!!!! Thanks again :)

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Are you in Turkey? Arrived to Istanbul or Ankara or Cappadocia? Plaese give us information.
Don't die before visiting Turkey