Ataturk airport to Sirkeci

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

Lou

Ataturk airport to Sirkeci

Post by Lou » Fri May 29, 2009 5:07 am

As my plane will land around 1:00PM at the beginning of July, I plan to take the subway (metro) from the airport to Sirkeci station (with a transfer at Zeytinburnu). My hotel is located 2 streets south of the station, easily walkable.
Everywhere I read an answer to that kind of question, people said to take the Havas bus to Taksim, then the funicular, then the metro to SIrkeci. It seems more complicated and a detour too.
Is their a reason for that?
If it's because of pickpocket against tourists, as a lonely girl with a backpack (or a wheel luggage, I'm not sure yet), I will be easily recognizable from the airport or from Taksim.

I would appreciate any comments on these subjets. Thanks.

Lou

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Ataturk airport to Sirkeci

Post by davcamp » Fri May 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Lou,
I have traveled both of these routes several times.
Havas to Taksim is good only if you're final destination is near Taksim or further north. It would be out of your way and cumbersome with luggage.
You are right in hoping the metro instead. TRAMWAY - Metro is best if you are headed for Sirkici. Follow METRO signs in airport to subway entrance, buy two tokens (about 1.50 ea.), board and get off at 6th stop Zeytinburnu and transfer to tram bound for Kabatas. Air-conditioned in the summer! Great value! The trip time total s/b about 40 min and you get to see some great historic landmarks on your way.

Let me know if you need anything else. Pickpockets - same as any big city - little common sense goes a long way.
davcamp

http://web.me.com/dav_camp/Istanbul_Tra ... _City.html

Lou

Post by Lou » Fri May 29, 2009 11:42 pm

Hi dav_camp,

thank you for your answer. Am I to understand that metro and tramway are the same thing and that they are travelling both underground and above ground? If so, the transfer in Zeytinburnu is it under or above ground? (I always find it more difficult to get oriented above than underground).

And for the tokens, do I purchase then in a machine or with a person? If it's by machine, should I have the exact change in Turk Lira?

Sorry for my mistake in english, it's not my native language.

Thanks again,
Lou

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Sat May 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Your english is good...where are you from??

Here's what to do...if you are going to stay/visit in Istanbul for a while:: To get into the country you need a visa. After you exit airplane follow the crowd toward Passport Kontrol (Signs are in English), As you approach passport kontrol area you'll see the booths where you can buy a visa. There are signs with fees listed depending which country you are from. Payment for visa are CASH ONLY. They must be Euros, USD, or, Turkish Lira only. No credit cards. Have that cash for visa already in your pocket...there are no ATM's until AFTER you clear passport area.

Get in line for foreigners at passport kontol and head to luggage pickup area. While you are waiting for baggage use the ATM's there for cash that will be dispensed in LIRA. No hassles with exchange rate offices. Like any big city - do not carry alot of cash. ATMs in Istanbul are plenty. Take out a little at a time as you need.
After you get your luggage follow the signs for METRO. Metro is in sublevel of airport and they stay underground for few stops and then come to ground level. They will be at street level at that point and turn into tramway (same train) and stay above ground all the way to past Sultanahmet.
Buy 2 tokens if you will NOT move around Istanbul a lot but just pass through. Use 2nd token at Zeytinburnu to transfer. The platform from 1st Metro to Zeytinburnu station is just 30 meteres away.

If you will visit Istanbul for more than one day - buy 1 token at airport. (Lira only which you buy at entrances to Metro) - all stations.
At Zeytinburnu look for white ticket booth that says AKBIL. Buy one for 6 lira deposit and add value at same token booth. GIve the guy 20 YTL and you'll have 14 lira credit to use while in Istanbul. Refill at stations as needed.

http://web.me.com/dav_camp/Istanbul_Tra ... anbul.html

Getting around the city is a breeze. Buy an Akbil and you can use it on buses, tramway, metro, ferries, and, tunnel cars. They fit snugly in your pocket and keep you from fumbling (not to mention counting foreign coins) for change. Just press it into fare box and move on. Also, everyone who is with you can use it, it is not exclusive to one person. Press it and pass it to your co-rider(s).

After you get on at Zeytinburnu the ride will be about 20 minutes to Sirkici Station.
Let me know if you need anything else and see my tips on making the most of your time in Istanbul.
David

Lou

Post by Lou » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:10 am

Hi David,

Thank you for the abundant informations. It'll be precious. I also visited your web site which is very complete too. I'm eager to arrive in Istanbul.
By the way, I'm from Québec, Canada. So I'm french speaking.

Thanks again.

Lou

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:46 pm

Wonderful...how long will you be in Istanbul and when are you going?
davcamp