Safety in southeastern Turkey

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

travelbabe

Safety in southeastern Turkey

Post by travelbabe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:31 pm

My husband and I will be taking an Eastern Turkey tour from Cappadoccia. We have been reading about government concerns about terrorism throughout Turkey. Yet people have been going there and loving it. Comments?

davecamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Safety in southeastern Turkey

Post by davecamp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Turkey is a very safe country. Whenever I tell my friends I am going for a visit I always get this reply. “Is it safe over there?” That depends on how a person interprets the word ‘safe.’

Turkey is NOT a Muslim country but it citizens are culturally Muslim. They are Secular-Muslim for the most part. Turkey is a Democratic Secular Republic with a strict separation between religion & state. The religious establishment has neither voice nor vote on national matters. It is forbidden.

Me (from Chicago) where over 200 hundred students get shot every year in school consider that question as invalid. :-) I remind people that only in America do hundreds daily get assaulted in malls, road-rage, high-schools, university campuses, churches. Unheard of in Turkey. I feel safer in Turkey than my own country.

Hospitality is a key attribute in Turkish culture. Once while boarding a bus that was standing-room-only, a man heard me speaking english asked me where I was from. After I answered “Amerika’da” he rose off his seat and insisted I sit down.

Keep in mind that since Turkey depends heavily on tourism dollars it drills it children from primary school age to be courteous to foreigners. Here are some things you may not know about security in Turkey:

~Founding Member of U.N. 1945

~Member of OSCE Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe 1973

~Member of G-20 1999

~ Received 151 votes in 2008 to enter the U.N. Security Council

~Founding Member of European Council 1949

~Applicant for E.U. 1987

~Member of NATO 1952. As well as hosting an important NATO Air Base near Syria and Iraq for U.S. operations in the region, Turkey's status as a secular democracy and its positive relations with Israel made Ankara a crucial ally for Washington.

~Fought along side USA in Korean War, Vietnam,, etc.

~Religious freedom is legally protected, mandated and observed. There are many Christian Churches in Istanbul - I have been to several and they enjoy free reign.

SUMMARY
Statistically, Turkey is safer that probably your home country. The question of “is it safe over there” (NOT YOUR QUESTION) is a question of non-thought. You will feel secure there as you just observe the common sense courtesy of a tourist an I am sure you and your husband will.

davcamp
davecamp

travelbabe

Post by travelbabe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply. It's very reassuring and we're looking forward to the delights of the country.

davecamp
How many stars? **: 0

Post by davecamp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:36 am

You are more than welcome.
I have a page listing the cultural protocols when greeting Turks...have a look?
http://www.go2istanbul.info/Practical_M ... tocol.html
davcamp
davecamp