4 days in Istanbul 2 single woman need advise.

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

msliv

4 days in Istanbul 2 single woman need advise.

Post by msliv » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello fellow travelers. :)

We are planning on spending 4 days in Istanbul. Can any one of you help with finding the best Haman and a great hotel in Sultanahmet. And please tell us what Not to Do, and to definitly do.
Any and all suggestions will be so appreciated.

msliv

suppiluliuma
How many stars? **: 0

Re: 4 days in Istanbul 2 single woman need advise.

Post by suppiluliuma » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:05 am

Hello,

For hamams:
http://www.cemberlitashamami.com.tr/hamam_english.htm
http://www.galatasarayhamami.com/en/hamam/

For the hotels, check out the "HOTELS" section here in TTP Forum, I don't have a personal experience as being a native.
Actually you can find all necessary information in this web site.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

forestchilde

Post by forestchilde » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:55 pm

Hello,

As a woman I've traveled to Istanbul (twice), Kusadasi, and Cappadocia alone and have always felt safe. I usually try to stay in the Sultanahmet area of Istanbul and would guess any of the hotels recommended on here are fine. The one's I can recall off the top of my head are the Golden Horn and the Sude Konak and I felt perfectly safe at both. When in Istanbul I always try to avoid being out by myself too late into the evening. If you have never been before be aware that the shop owners, particularly the carpet shop owners, will do their best to get you into their shop and persuade you to purchase something. I've been served so much tea in carpet shops there! I've been taken to lunch, given tours of out of the way places...I have never once felt threatened by anyone except once in the Grand Bazaar when a shop owner got a bit too, shall I say "close," with me and I promptly left because it made me feel very uncomfortable. I never tell anyone I meet on the streets where I am staying though and I always trust my gut. Making eye contact and smiling will always get attention and generally being women traveling along will always get attention. Most just want to sell their wares and that's it. Flatterly helps them I suppose.

I've been to both Çemberlitaş Hamamı and Cağaloğlu Hamamı. Both experiences were fine for me. I seen to recall Çemberlitaş being a bit less expensive but think I got better service at Cağaloğlu. It's a MUST in Istanbul!

Most of all, enjoy your trip!

Tavsan
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Tavsan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:57 pm

There are several botique hotels at the end of the street where the Cafe Rumist sits. It (the street) is quite close to everything in Sultanahmet. Check the prices of these as some are a bit higher than others. Best Western has several properties in this area as well. Also, check Tom's TTP section on hotels right here on this site. Some great hotels are highlighted here. By the way, the Rumist Cafe has great food.

Tavsan