Capris? Pants?

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

Zarifa

Capris? Pants?

Post by Zarifa » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:22 am

Hello, my friend & I will be traveling to Turkey in July I've read that you can technically wear 'anything' you want in Turkey- but I'd like to know what is best and most respectful to wear. Last time I went it was not summer so wearing some longer skirts & pants were no problem. I know that those of us in short sleve shirts & longer skirts received more respect & I felt that I fit in more. No disrespect meant- I wear different clothes in my home town than when I visit relatives in Texas- my spaghetti strap tops don't fit in with general tastes in rural Texas- I'm ok with that & respect thier culture. I wish to do the same in Turkey.

This time I will be going to Istanbul, Cappadocia, & Bodrum now in July. Being hotter; I wonder what if any difference typical clothing would be. What are good choices for summer? Are capris ok? Or are pants better? I know in Bodrum-we're at the beach so shorts & stuff should be ok. But what about Istanbul- touring around in the day or shopping- are long shorts/capris the norm or pants? What about shirts? crew neck? Boat neck? lower necklines like scoop or V necks? How about for dinner? How about Cappadocia? HIking during the day sounds hot- but what is most appropriate- shorts? long capris? pants? How about shirts?

Again, I know Turkey is modern & accepts many clothing choices (which is great!). But I feel most comfortable when I blend in. I *could* wear my spaghetti strap top in Texas but I get a lot more 'looks' than at home- so I prefer to leave that top for home. Thank you!

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Capris? Pants?

Post by davcamp » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:41 am

Turkey is a cosmo-city and you’ll see every fashion and style that is common in NY, LA, and Chicago. Typical wear are jeans and tees in summer, jeans and sweatshirts in winter season. The styles vary but use common sense by not wearing anything that will draw too much attention as you would in your home city. Capri pants and shorts AWAY form the beach are perfect! DO as the locals do - you are not visiting IRAN, after all.
Go to Nisantasi and see high-fashion common to Madison Ave. In Taksim you’ll see plenty of Emo’s dressed with big black boots and goth hair complete with facial piercings and pink shoe laces. Hop over to Fatih and see conservatives dressed in traditional religious clothing. We have the same in Chicago.

davcamp
http://www.go2istanbul.info/Practical_M ... _Wear.html

Zarifa

Post by Zarifa » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:00 am

Thank you for your reply. You'll see a lot of things in most major cities- a lot of BAD things. I live in a major American city- women wear low cut braless 'dresses' (that more closely resemble shirts) on a daily basis. While that might be *a* norm it is not *the* norm for all. And I know it is not *the norm* in all cities.

During my last trip to Turkey I definitely saw Turkish women in more conservative dress Western dress. So I think I'll stick with my memories. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying some places dress more conservatively than others. As I stated before, the area my family is from in west Texas has more conservative styles. It has nothing to do with religion- just local choice. I *know* Turkey is not Iran. But I also know that it is not New York city. There is no shame in having a more conservative style. Choosing to wear higher necklines or lower hemlines is fine. Conservative is not the same as chador.

I read another post where another women commented that Turkish women were definitely dressed in longer skirts & tops with short sleeves (not straps). This rings more true to my memories & reflects the dress of my Turkish friends in the states.

I appreicate your reply but I find gung ho statements that clothing in Turkey is "just like" everywhere else to be misleading. (I am not meaning to target you personally, I've read other replies on this site and your website.) It is true that women don't have to veil in Turkey but there is a lot of 'grey' between not veiling and dressing like a 20yr old in New York city. I was asking for a finer detail within this grey area. From other posts I feel other women are doing the same. We are looking for an honest answer not hype that Turkey is 'just like' everyone else. (Besides if Turkey were 'just like' everywhere else- why would I go visit?)

My goal is not to fuss- But to establish a comfort area in a different country. Maybe I am silly to want to dress to show respect for the culture of an area (be it Texas or Turkey). Maybe I am silly for learning some Turkish so I can poorly say 'please and thank you' to my hosts- knowing they speak English but wishing to honor their culture. Maybe I'll be surprised that things are radically different than my last trip...

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Well, Put. YOU will be comfortable in all areas of Istanbul in capri pants, flip flips, and even modest shorts.
David

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:30 pm

David makes good points. What it comes down to is individual choice.

In Fatih you'll see mostly religio-conservative dress (tesettür) but you may also see young women with sleeveless tops and shorts and no head covering. Everyone in Fatih will know they're not religiously conservative because of their dress, and it would not be respectful for women to enter a mosque that way, but otherwise they could do as they pleased. People recognize that other people dress differently.

(By the way, it would not be appropriate for a man to enter a mosque dressed in shorts.)

In Sultanahmet you'll see women from all over the country and indeed the world dressed in various ways, some covered from head to toe (with the occasional face veil), some in capris, shorts, v-necks, etc. In the city, a mini-skirt or bare midriff or lots of cleavage would be looked upon as exhibitionist, but not capris or Bermuda shorts.

As for Bodrum, I don't believe it's a place where lots of conservatively religious people vacation, so probably anything would go, but "smart casual" would feel most comfortable.

Here are my pages on dress in Turkey:

http://turkeytravelplanner.com/WhenToGo/WhatToWear.html

http://turkeytravelplanner.com/details/ ... _wear.html

http://turkeytravelplanner.com/details/ ... ciety.html

Tom Brosnahan