Not married couple traveling to Turkey

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

Fidova

Not married couple traveling to Turkey

Post by Fidova » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:31 pm

We are going to travel to Turkey with my boyfriend. We have reserved one room in a hotel. Is there any problem to check us in when we are not married? Will they us check if we are married or not? We have also read that single women and men travel by bus or train separately? Is it true?

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Not married couple traveling to Turkey

Post by davcamp » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:07 am

I don't imagine you will have any trouble not being married and in same room. I never have. Turkey covets tourism revenue and pays little attention if any to marital documentation.
As for traveling in a bus...you are not going to Iran LOL. In a bus the protocol is men and women together but a common courtesy is if there is a woman in a seat for two (alone), the woman of the traveling couple should sit next to the alone woman in the seat.
davcamp

snarfles
How many stars? **: 0

Post by snarfles » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:03 am

No you should be fine. We didnt have any trouble on our recent trip as an unmarried couple checking into hotels. We had the same concerns as you beforehand but its really a non issue.

Talking of buses though in Istanbul, we never took one as almost every single one we saw was always very overcrowded. We preferred to walk.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 pm

It's interesting how different cultures are and how that impacts travel. I guess I never thought about whether or not my boyfriend and I could share a hotel room together; it's so common in the States. But now that you mention it, I'd be concerned, too. I think you'd be safe as long as you stay close to the touristy areas.