Lone woman in Istanbul

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

Jumper_one

Lone woman in Istanbul

Post by Jumper_one » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:12 am

Hello everyone,

I will be traveling to Istanbul in late May for work. I would be staying at a hotel next to Sirkeci station (which I haven't booked yet), where I will be meeting with other people I know, but I will be on my own for the trip to the airport to the hotel and back.

I'll be arriving in the afternoon, so I was thinking to take the metro (I've read the itinerary on this forum) to Sirkeci, and the hotel is really close by to the station so it shouldn't be a problem. My return flight is pretty early in the morning though, and I'm not sure I want to be alone on public transportation that early in the morning (not even sure the metro will be runnning before 6.00am), and the stories I've read about taxis have made me a bit wary. Do you think I could ask the people at the hotel to arrange private transportation like a shuttle or private car, or even a 'trusted' taxi company?

The other option would be to fly back a day earlier, in which case there's a flight in the early afternoon. It would ease my worries a bit, but then I would miss the extra sightseeing day we were planning.

I travel quite often, but I've always been in company, so this would be my first time alone. I have no experience of non-Western countries either (even though Istanbul is a good place to start I guess, being in-between two cultures), and I'm definitely NOT street-smart, which makes me a bit anxious. I'm pretty excited to see Istanbul, so I'd like to have everything well-planned out in advance as to enjoy my trip fully.

I would appreciate any advice on the matter :D

suppiluliuma
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Lone woman in Istanbul

Post by suppiluliuma » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 am

Before 6 am?
I'm afraid it'd be impossible for you to benefit any public transportation means at that time.
And taxis are the big same of this country.
At least you'll be double-charged.
Why don't you ask your local friends to help you?
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are