Table for one?

Tips, comments and warnings for women traveling in Turkey.

Moderator: sinan

misolost

Table for one?

Post by misolost » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:04 am

Hello!

I'm planning a trip to Istanbul and Cappadocia and was wondering if I will be bothered when I dine out alone? I have eaten alone all over the world so I have no problem with my own company :lol: but I'm just reading up on how bothersome some men can be when it comes to the fairer sex and especially those traveling on their own? Is there a better area than others to dine alone? I think I'm more concerned with dining alone in Istanbul than Cappadocia.

patricia1066

Re: Table for one?

Post by patricia1066 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:10 pm

In Galata and on Istiklal Cad. I was never hassled. I ate in every kind of restaurant, enjoyed very good food and service, and never felt that oppressive sense of being watched, but did feel welcomed.

Cappadocia, Goreme, in my experience, is very relaxed, you will meet locals and people who are staying in your digs, whether 5* or otherwise, and it seems natural to share your discoveries. I never ate alone there unless I made a special effort. I dont know why, but it was the most vital place I have ever been in, and even Londoners will talk to strangers! In fact coming from Cappadocia to Istanbul was a huge culture shock as I had to relearn to be alert to touts.

Have a wonderful holiday.