Bitez has a special place for the people of Bodrum because it is very close to the center of Bodrum, so much so that it has been the subject of folk songs (Çökertme Türküsü). Located right next to Gümbet, Bitez is one of the most famous holiday resorts of the Bodrum peninsula and is a very charming town. Bitez, which has the longest coastline of Bodrum, is also famous for its winds and is an ideal place preferred by windsurfers.
Bitez Yalısı (Coast)
Bitez Yalısı, which is also mentioned in the famous Çökertme Folk Song (Türkü), is one of the places you should see in Bitez, which is actually the name given to this coastline. Bitez Yalısı also has an award-winning blue flag beach. There are many hotels and pensions along the coast.
Bitez is also a very pleasant place to take a walk. You can take a nice walk in the summer evenings by visiting the cafes, restaurants, and shops along the long beach. There are also many souvenir shops here. You can buy magnets unique to Bitez, ornamental gifts made of glass, etc. as a souvenir, or you can also buy beautiful woven towels and covers and choose a famous product in the Bitez region.
Beach & Activities
Keep in mind that the sea of Bitez slowly gets deep. Since it is shallow, you have to walk for a while in order to exceed your height in the sea, which makes Bitez a favorite, especially for families with children. The water, as in all of Bodrum, is clean and turquoise-colored. It should be noted that this sea, which is like an aquarium, is a bit cold and the beach has soft sand. Although it is known for its proximity to the center, it is a peaceful place not in the crowded center of town.
Bitez is one of the favorite locations for sea and windsurfing as it is famous for its wind, but you can also do other water sports such as canoeing, pedal boats, rowing, and jet skiing. The back of the coastline is full of fragrant citrus and tangerine orchards. You can also do bicycle tours here to retreat into nature.
What to Eat
Bitez Dondurmacısı (Ice Cream)
There are many beautiful and quality restaurants that you pass both in Bitez Yalısı and on the way down to Bitez. But the first place to be mentioned is Bitez Dondurmacısı. This ice cream shop takes its name from Bitez and has a large place at the entrance of Bitez, but its reputation has spread all over Bodrum, and even in the whole of Turkey, branches have been opened in some other cities, too. Don't forget to buy ice cream according to your preference from here on your trip to Bitez-- you may have a hard time deciding as there are so many varieties. The milky desserts of this place are also exquisite.
Best Restaurants in Bitez
In Bitez, there are places that serve Mediterranean and Aegean cuisine, as well as a wide variety of places that offer world flavors.
- Aqua Restaurant is one of the most famous places for appetizers and fish on the beach.
- Bitz is a place that will catch your eye as you descend from the village towards the beach, and is famous for its cocktails and pizza, and occasionally hosts parties.
- If you want to try mantı (Turkish ravioli), you can stop by Bitez Köy Mantıcısı.
- If you are craving Italian cuisine, the right address is Trattoria Il Mandarino. This place has a very friendly and romantic atmosphere under the tangerine gardens.
- If you want to eat Napoli pizza especially, go to Pizzeria Mia.
- Another Italian venue is Manuel Pub, which has a newly opened cafe-pub concept.
- Vamos, which has a very photographic design, is one of the places close to becoming a classic in Bitez. Croissants, pizzas, hamburgers, Spanish omelets, cocktails, etc. This is a place that manages to bring all the food on the menu, from breakfast to dinner, to your table with great taste. It is possible to make similar comments for Kornel.
- Köşebaşı is a restaurant you can choose for kebab, which has branches in various parts of Bodrum.
- Bağarası Restaurant is a meat restaurant among tangerine gardens and is a family business that has been serving customers for years.
- Another place among tangerine gardens but famous for its breakfast is Kuytu Bahçe.
- Kurul Bitez is the ideal place for you to try grilled meat, because they interpret the traditional grilling culture in their own way and present you with great appetizers (meze), and they do it in a very stylish restaurant.
- The best hamburger restaurant in Bodrum is undoubtedly Vula Burger.
If you are looking for a place to drink coffee, you can go to Zai, which is more than a cafe, serves as a vibrant center, full of art and peace. This place is not exactly in Bitez, but between Bitez and Konacık. You can visit this place because it is very close to Bitez, we can even say that it would be a shame to spend a Bodrum holiday without stopping by Zai because this place has peace beyond your dreams.
A cafe option in Bitez can be Hey Joe.
Fika Coffee Shop with Scandinavian influences is a very cute place on the road going from Bitez to Konacık, and also offers very delicious coffee.
Traveling by car in Bodrum is always a better choice. Although there is a parking problem and parking lots can be expensive, it may be more enjoyable to take a car to explore Bodrum better. It takes about 8 hours (696 km) to get from Istanbul to Bodrum by car. From Ankara to Bodrum, it takes about 9 hours by car (713 km). From Izmir, you can reach Bodrum by road in 3-4 hours (242 km).
If you want to go to Bodrum by plane, you need to use Bodrum Milas Airport. You can reach the city center from the airport by bus called HAVAŞ. You can choose the minibusses (dolmuş) to go from the center to Bitez, it only takes 15 minutes to reach. Of course, you can also go directly from the airport by taxi.
You can also come to Bodrum by intercity buses. After getting off in the center of Bodrum, you can take the smaller buses that will take you to Bitez in 15 minutes.
-by Melike Kocaer